Author Topic: Where did the Hulberts go?  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where did the Hulberts go?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 February 13 22:02 GMT (UK) »

This looks like George jnr with his wife, in 1881 :

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XQFQ-L1C

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pels.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 February 13 22:19 GMT (UK) »

See what you think to this in 1901 :  RG13/3454, Folio 44, Page 33.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X9KL-JJ2

I wonder if George's wife Ellen died and he remarried? It might help if I could find him 1891?

Pels,

Offline Pels.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 February 13 20:22 GMT (UK) »

I believe I've made the connection.

But, better to wait until you get back to me before I say anymore.

:)

Pels.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 February 13 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms Newark St Mary Magdalene
Parents George and Ann Hulbert
15-6-1854 Charles abode Clay Lane father a labourer
21-3-1859 Walter abode Barnby Rd father a labourer.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 February 13 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear.  It's Charles William and Ellen that seem to have disappeared.  As my correspondent is in Oz, it is possible they emigrated out there, but I just can't seem to find a passage for them anywhere?  However, I will pass on all the info about George and family.

lydiaann
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Pels.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 February 13 13:30 GMT (UK) »

I'm trying to help someone out in their search for the Hulberts.  George Hulbert, b. abt 1830, married Ann North Austrin on 19 Apr, 1852 in Newark.  Their son, Charles William, b. 3 June, 1854 at Clay Lane Station, Newark, is there (with mum and pops) on the 1861 and 1871 censuses, but thereafter the family disappears en masse (apart from Wm, who is a bootboy aged 19 in a hotel in Newark in the 1881 census) - to where?  It is know that Charles married Ellen Roberts in 1877 in Newark, so the exodus would have taken place after that.  Can't find them going to the USA or Australia but I may have missed something somewhere.  Any ideas, Chatters?

lydiaann

Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear.  It's Charles William and Ellen that seem to have disappeared.  As my correspondent is in Oz, it is possible they emigrated out there, but I just can't seem to find a passage for them anywhere?  However, I will pass on all the info about George and family.

lydiaann

I'm afraid it's still not very clear, lydiaann.

Baptisms Newark St Mary Magdalene
Parents George and Ann Hulbert
15-6-1854 Charles abode Clay Lane father a labourer
21-3-1859 Walter abode Barnby Rd father a labourer.

At no point can I find a Charles William Hulbert, even the baptism kindly quoted by 'larkspur' only mentions the forename Charles - as does his birth registration.

Birth, June qtr 1854   
Charles Hulbert     
Newark, Vol 7b, page 303

Also could you point me in the direction of their Newark marriage registration, please ?

Thankyou,

Pels.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 February 13 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Marriage Sept 1877
Ellen Roberts and Charles Hulbert
LEEDS 9b/646
A fair old distance to Newark.

AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 February 13 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to be so long in replying - life got in the way for a day or so and I also wanted to check facts that you - larkspur and Pels - provided but also what my correspondent provided.  Your comments are all great, thank you so much, but doesn't solve the problem.  Firstly, yes, you are right - Charles is just plain Charles on everything (I think my correspondent mistakenly added the Wm. because Chas's son is the one with the 2 names).  She was particularly interested in Charles and Ellen and their whereabouts after the 1871 census.  Charles didn't marry Ellen until 1877 (in Leeds, as larkspur rightly said) but nonetheless, they are not to be found in any censuses post-1877 which made me think they emigrated.  With regard to George Sr, the 1901 census in Walton on the Hill Lancs will be George Jr. and Ellen, as will the 1881 census where they are in Pudsey, N. Yorkshire.  The marriage of Walter to Charlotte in Yarmouth could be that of Charles's younger brother.  As I said, William(a younger brother still) is a bootboy in an hotel in Newark in 1881 so it would appear that the family probably did stick around, apart from Charles and Ellenin the UK.  Railway labourers, as with a good many of the labouring occupations (e.g. gamekeepers) did have a fairly peripatetic lifestyle, surprising for the mid- to late-1850s when compared to other occupations so it is no surprise to see them pop up elsewhere.  However, I believe the death notices are possibly not the right George and Ann as their dates of birth were abt 1830 and 1831 respectively.  Hulbert, though not as common as - say - Taylor or Smith, is nonetheless not a rare surname in the UK.  So, if you have any further views on my emigration theory, I'd love to hear them...and thanks so much for taking the time to look at this.

lydiaann
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 February 13 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, what I should have mentioned was the fact that one of Charles's and Ellen's sons actually married in NSW in Australia in 1906 at age 28, which is why this all came up.  But did he emigrate as a young man alone, or did they emigrate as a family?  There seem to be no death records or census records either side of the world but if we could find passenger records, it might help...

lydiaann
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee