Author Topic: Ann Stephens/Ann Langham - Billesdon  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Rob - Leicester

• RootsChat Extra
  • You can't beat a centre parting...
    • View Profile
Ann Stephens/Ann Langham - Billesdon
« on: Friday 08 February 13 17:08 GMT (UK) »
I was interested to hear about Richard III's 'maternal DNA' being passed down by his mother and her mother's-mothers through many generations and it made me look at my family tree in a different way... I started following all those different unconnected surnames up the right hand side who I suddenly realise all carry the same 'mitochondrial DNA' pattern that I have, yet neither of my children do! I usually think of the left handmost people as my direct line (all those grandfathers with my surname) but now the right hand side grandmothers have taken on a new importance!

Thus inspired I'm now trying to find out more information about my maternal 5xg grandmother Ann Stephens. Ann married John Langham 21 Oct 1771 at Billesdon. John was from Burton Overy (baptised 20 Dec 1747).

I have found a possible candidate in the IGI for Ann's baptism :- 19 Mar 1738 at Kilby. This would however make her some 9 years older than John and age 33 when married. It would also make her age 49 when she had her last child Geoge (bap 17 Jan 1787) which is quite old! I'm not therefore happy to go with this until I have more compelling evidence!

I am looking for a burial for Ann Langham possibly in Billesdon which might give me her age and therefore birth year.

I have found an Ann Langham burial in Leicester St Margarets 11 Mar 1832, wife of John... but have also found a marriage for a John Langham & Ann Steans 16 Feb 1790 in the same parish so this is probably the same person and not my Ann.

Any help would be appreciated!

Rob
Grant, Green, Beyless, Coltman, Willis, Judge, Withers, Curtis, Ison, Pearson, Sims, Meadows, Gadsby, Burgess, Wilson, Keeling, Hooke, Suffolk, Shortland, Beeby, Rolfe, Brann, Sims, Henson, Warren, Pyle, Ball, Beck, Spencer, Kitchener, Washbrook, Sewell, Wheway, Hastings, Friswell, Redhouse, Plantagenet

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Stephens/Ann Langham - Billesdon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 February 13 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob

Could this be her

Billesdon Burial
Ann Langham 21 March 1826 aged 83

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rob - Leicester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 February 13 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carol

Yes it could well be her  :D This gives a year of birth around 1743 which 'fits' better with the age differences I mentioned. That's a great piece of information - I'll have to get to the Record Office some time and have a look at it for myself. Now I can have a look in Billesdon & nearby PR's around 1743 for Ann Stephen's baptism...

Many thanks for your help!

Rob
Grant, Green, Beyless, Coltman, Willis, Judge, Withers, Curtis, Ison, Pearson, Sims, Meadows, Gadsby, Burgess, Wilson, Keeling, Hooke, Suffolk, Shortland, Beeby, Rolfe, Brann, Sims, Henson, Warren, Pyle, Ball, Beck, Spencer, Kitchener, Washbrook, Sewell, Wheway, Hastings, Friswell, Redhouse, Plantagenet

Offline Rob - Leicester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 February 13 18:59 GMT (UK) »
For the record (in case anybody comes across this in the future!)

I was able to confirm the burial of Ann Langham at Billesdon 21 Mar 1826 age 83 at the Leics Record Office - DE 2492/10 fiche 1 entry 138.

I was unable to find Ann Stephens baptism in 1742-1744 at Billesdon, Houghton on the Hill, Hungarton, Tilton or Skeffington.

I did find Ann Stevens baptised 12 Mar 1743/44 (born Feb 15th) at St Martins Leicester - parents Thomas & Hannah. DE 1564/1. I also found a marriage of Thomas Stevens and Hannah Garrett 11 Nov 1732 at St Mary's Leicester DE 8058/15 fiche 3.

Apart from the two Ann Stevens being born in 1743 I don't see any other evidence at present for them being the same person. People were generally migrating towards the cities - not away... I don't like to just add them unless I am reasonably sure they are the right person.

I've also had another look in FamilySearch and there are 'Steevens' surnames in Billesdon 1681-1712 so Ann may well belong to them rather than the tantalising St Martins Ann...

I've not changed the status of this post to completed just yet in case somebody reads it over the next week or so and comes up trumps - but thanks all for reading and Carol for the help.

Rob