Author Topic: White family Lough Dan area 1870s - 1880s  (Read 4479 times)

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
White family Lough Dan area 1870s - 1880s
« on: Saturday 09 February 13 00:19 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a Susan O'Neill who was born in Co Down sometime around 1860, sometime around late 1870s or early 1880s she is believed to have come from Warrenpoint Co Down to take care of 2 elderly relatives with the surname White who were living in the Lough Dan area of Wicklow. I have very little information relating to Susan before she married a local Wicklow man - Willian Carr in 1888 in Roundwood RC church. I have been trying to identify the White family she came to stay with and think it may have been someone connected with the family of John White and Bridget Byrne  in the townland of Carraigshinnagh. There was also an Edward White living in this townland around that time. If anyone is connected with this White family maybe they might be able to help to piece together what connection there was between Susan O Neill from Co Down and the White family. On her marriage record Susan's parents are recorded as George and Mary O Neill, but no other information is recorded.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: White family Lough Dan area 1870s - 1880s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 February 13 18:29 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a Susan O'Neill who was born in Co Down sometime around 1860
I have very little information relating to Susan before she married a local Wicklow man - Willian Carr in 1888 in Roundwood RC church. I have been trying to identify the White family she came to stay with ....

does the marriage cert give a residence for Susan - or just Roundwood ?

Since both parents are mentioned, I'm guessing it's a parish record you have. Might be worth checking a civil cert to see if there is a more detailed address and an occupation for her father

Names of the witnesses might help, especially if there's one with a distinctive name.

Shane

related thread on Co. Down board for reference :

Down / O'Neill Warrenpoint
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: White family Lough Dan area 1870s - 1880s
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 February 13 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane for your reply, yes I have a civil cert as well but there is no occupation listed for her father, just left blank, which is unusual. Susan's place of residence on both church and civil records is Baltinimina, which is a townland outside Roundwood, William Carr is from Slemaine another townland close by. The couple appear to have lived in Baltinimina after their marriage.I have checked the rental records for these 2 townlands from 1860 to 1900 and there are no White families recorded, but there is an Edward White and a John White recorded as tenants in Carraigshinnagh, another townland close by. The named tenant changes from John White to Laurence White( I think a son) in 1884 and then in 1886 the properties seems to revert back to the landlord. This could indicate the elderly White relatives that Susan came to look after had now died.The church marriage record lists an Ellen and James Brady as witnesses. There were quite a few Brady families living in the area and this couple match a couple of similar age to Susan and William, who are living in Baltinimia, so would appear to be neighbours/friends as I have not been able to connect them as relatives to either Susan or William. I have baptism records for Susan and William's 3 children but again no Carr, White or O'Neill appear, but names appear to match neighbouring families.