Author Topic: George BELLAMY MD/Admiral Sir George Somers - Long shot!  (Read 25779 times)

Offline gene-genie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: George BELLAMY MD/Admiral Sir George Somers - Long shot!
« Reply #27 on: Monday 15 April 13 19:43 BST (UK) »
There is going to be a parade for George Somers in Lyme Regis on 31st July 2013: this link shows his portrait:
http://www.lymeregis.org/news/life-of-former-mayor-to-be-celebrated-with-parade-259/

The Capt Bellamy re Pirates of the Caribbean is probably reference to  Captain Samuel Bellamy (c. February 23, 1689 -  Hittisleigh Devon s of Stephen and Elizabeth Bellamy (probably)– April 26, 1717,(drowned at sea).  Better known as "Black Sam" Bellamy, 18thC English pirate who died aged 28 and earned the title 'Prince of Pirates' .....

BRISTOL/GLS/LON:
DENNING -  RIDDLE-DENNING. & Glam TANNER-DENNING, MORGAN, THOMAS, RICE-ADAMS, RITCHINGS, PINGSTONE
DEV:18thC  RICE, Mary, ADAMS, CLARKE,STENTAFORD. MICHLEMORE.
HANTS: RICE-ADAMS, RICE-DEVEREUX-ADAMS (S'hampton), PIPER.  (Hants)
All GLS/Glam/Brks: TOVEY,  WESLEY/WASLEY, GLS/GLAM.  MARSHALL, PEARSON, GREEN, JAYNES  COOMBES, TOMBS.
LANCS: DUNN, Manc. BROWN Dorset
CHS: BROMILEY
SOM:  BALCH.
WLS:  MORRIS, MGY/DEN, WMS, GRIFFITHS,
WTS/Lon: SKUSE
BRKS/Lon: CHURCH. WAKEFIELD

Offline MeldCP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 10 August 13 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, so we are definitely related :) my family also have a large portrait of John Cremer (1700 - 1774) known as Ramblin' Jack and his handwritten diary of his time at sea, which has also been published. I have the paintings of John Cremer Bellamy and his wife Theodora Mariana de Castro, daughter of Dr Miguel de Castro.

Hello,

My husband is also descended from George Bellamy via John Cremer Bellamy, we'd love to see a portrait of Theodora if you'd be willing to share it.  Indeed, any pictures you have of the ancestors, especially Ramblin' Jack.

We have been to the records office at Plymouth, so have an extensive series of images of pretty much everything they had regarding the Bellamys. We'd be more than happy to share what we have.

Melanie

Offline MeldCP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 12 August 13 21:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your message, JoF200666, the system won't let me reply directly, I think I am too new :-(

Any help you or Nap70 could give me would be just wonderful, my email address is
Ytyynycefn@aol.com

Very best wishes,

Melanie de Castro Pugh

Offline JoF200666

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Melanie, did you receive the photos I sent you?

Offline rhigham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 05 February 15 08:07 GMT (UK) »
the somers bellamy cremer connection is fascinating
we have in the Higham family (descended from Rose Higham nee Bellamy grand-daughter of dr George Bellamy) a small picture of Rambling Jack Cremer striding along in a tricorn hat and flowing coat with a "bill of entail" poking out of his pocket
but I read that there is another big portrait of him
I would love to have a copy!!
and contacts with descendents of the Bellamys particularly George David Bellamy, engineer, brother of Rose. who started the eagle soap works with my great grandfather James Higham. The adventure in the soap works was a mystery until an accounts book 1857 - 1859 turned up in an outside shed, kept as a scrap book by Rose from 1863
Richard Higham

Offline JoF200666

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 13 February 15 15:34 GMT (UK) »
pictures of John Cremer Bellamy (1812-1854) - Son of Dr George Bellamy
Theodora Marianna De Castro, wife of John Crèmer
Dr George Bellamy MD (1773-1863) Surgeon on the Bellerophon

Offline MeldCP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 23 November 15 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've just tried downloading the image files you kindly posted (I've been away from the family tree for a bit due to illness and my memory is shot to bits, so please forgive me asking again), but they don't appear to be there. Would it be possible to repost them please?  Thanks so much,

Melanie

Offline javarubus

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 10 January 16 11:35 GMT (UK) »
I`m a newcomer to RootsChat and fascinated by the Stuff re Sir G S, and the Bellamys(my mum was a B), etc.. What I notice is the lack of references to Books! Just as G--y has been rev`d, so has the 2nd  hand book trade, so many books are available at the click of the mouse,  eg the biography of Sir G Somers , by David F Raine changes a name into a real live person! Love and Hate in Jamestowne,  David A Price, sets the scene, Ramblin Jack, R Reynell Bellamy, contains Family Trees and was Jack`s autob. Try Abebooks!

Offline MeldCP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 11 January 16 11:56 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of Ramblin' Jack (bought from a seller on Abebooks). It's a great read :)