Author Topic: Burial Records for Monkton Pembroke Wales  (Read 6113 times)

Offline westielady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial Records for Monkton Pembroke Wales
« on: Sunday 10 February 13 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I hope someone can help. I have family from Monkton, Pembroke.  3 members of the family I can't find is Henry Davies 1805 - 1871.  His wife Mary Davies 1807 - 1868, and their daughter Martha Davies 1853 - 1925.   I need their burial information, I need to know where they were buried.  I know it is not St Nicholas Monkton, and I don't know where else to look.  I hope someone can help. 

Cheers

Mandy

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Records for Monkton Pembroke Wales
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 May 13 02:22 BST (UK) »
Mandy, I am currently in hospital, but when out can help you. Check out my postings related to monkton and Pembroke burials 1711 to 1930's on Pembrokewhite board on rootschat. Rgds Owen ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline westielady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 May 13 19:24 BST (UK) »
I am sorry to hear you are in hospital, I hope it is not serious.  I know you will be missed in Roots chat, so get well soon.  I will try and find where you have pointed me to, and hope to get some answers.

Mandy

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 May 13 17:19 BST (UK) »
The likely cemeteries are St Michaels Cemetery, Pembroke,  Llanion Cemetery, Pembroke Dock or
 Llanion Cemetery, Pembroke Dock. You will need to contact The Cemeteries Office
Thornton Business Park
Thornton
Milford Haven
Pembrokeshire
SA73 2RR

Tel: 01437 776 591  [normally search fees are charged]
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline westielady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 May 13 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for that, but I have already contacted them.  Unfortunately they had no records concerning these two people.  I just wonder if they were buried privately, as Henry Davies was a verger for St Nicholas Church.  I also think that Martha may have been interred privately, as she had 3 children but won't give the fathers name.  But she did work for one of the notable family's in the area, a it of scandal me thinks lol :-)

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 May 13 08:51 BST (UK) »
It is pointless approaching The Cemeteries Office for burials of 1868 and 1871, since Monkton Cemetery did not exist at this time and did not come under the PCC until the 1900’s when it took over from the Monkton Burial Board.
One other word of warning when contacting this Office, they only hold database of person initially buried in a location in a Cemetery. So If Mr Smith was buried at Llanion say in 1905 he is listed, his wife dies say 1906 and is buried in same plot she is listed. If relations are then interred under the term “Also remembered” then these people will not be listed at the Office, so some headstones at Monkton and Llanion shown multi names, of which perhaps only one will be listed by the Cemetery Office.
Do not believe that the Office hold all and every reference to every burial at Llanion, Park St, St Michael or City Road H’west. Take it from someone who has over 900 references and photo’s of headstones to people buried at Llanion and their background histories a good number do not equate with Cemetery Office records, I give you just two very simple examples.

++ A woman ident unknown, Killed in an air raid is buried with military honours 1941 at Llanion, The office deny the event.

The Office have a totally family unconnected Rear Admiral and an ordinary seaman buried in the same plot just 13 years apart during the early 20th century. It didn’t happen, but the office will tell you that plots are often regular re-used. I have never found another case of re-use so close in time together.

From my research at Monkton St Nicholas into the last surviving headstones and memorials (available on CD, from church only) and from my transcript of burial records of Monkton St Nicholas I note :
A Henry Davies burial
17 Jan 1880 aged 72 yrs of Monkton by David Bowen (Not yours wrong year). This burial would have taken place in the overcrowded churchyard.

A Mary Davies burial
10 Apr 1868 Mary Davies of Monkton aged 61 years by D.W. Morris. This burial would have taken place in the overcrowded churchyard.

There is no burial of a Martha Davies at Monkton between the years of 1882 and 1950 (end of my transcript)

Of all the Davies surnames mentioned on the CD with the background research, there appear none that fit your requirements at this time

I have checked also my transcript of the Burial Services held at Pembroke St Mary, but for which burials began at Llanion in 1872.
There is no reference to a Henry Davies to equate to your requirements.
There is no reference to a Mary Davies to equate to your requirements.
There is no reference to a Martha Davies to equate to your requirements.

Turning to my transcript of the Parish registers of St Michael
I’m afraid the same appertains as to that of St Mary.
Since you make no reference, I have presumed throughout that Martha Davies daughter of Henry & Mary never married and remained a spinster until her death was registered in the 1st Qtr of 1925 aged 71 yrs in one of the many parishes, chapels etc included in the Pembroke Registration District.

Returning to my transcript of the Parish Registers of Monkton St Nicholas for 1711 to 1950’s I am assuming the following are “yours” ;
Monkton St Nicholas Baptism Register
27 Dec 1833 John to Henry & Mary Davies of Monkton a Shoemaker by James Dalton
30 Aug 1835 William to Henry & Mary Davies of Monkton a Shoemaker by James Dalton
17 May 1837 Henry to Henry & Mary Davies of Monkton a shoemaker by James Dalton
19 Feb 1832 Ann to Henry & Mary Davies of Monkton a Shoemaker by Chalres Philipps
19 Dec 1830 Jane to Henry and Mary Davies of Monkton a Shoemaker by James Dalton
18 Feb 1840 Mary Ann to Henry & Mary Davies of Monkton a Shoemaker by Octavious Leach
08 Mar 1843 Thomas to Henry & Mary Davies of Monkton a Shoemaker by Octavious Leach
31 May 1846 Maria to Henry & Mary Davies of Monkton a Shoemaker by W. P. Evans
(It is possible that Maria was buried at Monkton St Nicholas on the 16 Nov 1857 of Monkton but with an age shown as 09 yrs, when one would have expected 11 yrs)
02 Jul 1848 George to Henry & Mary Davies of Monkton a Shoemaker by Octavious B. Byers
21 Aug 1853 Martha to Henry & Mary Davies of Monkton a Shoemaker by Essex Holcombe.

From my Mrge Transcript of Monkton St Nicholas I suspect that
Henry Davies a bachelor o.t.p. married Mary Davies a spinster of Monkton by banns on the 30 Apr 1830 in front of Samuel W. Saunders. Both signed their names in the presence of John Davies and Geo Froyne.
(Note 1;George Froyne was parish clerk at either St Mary or St Michael Pembroke at this time.)
(Note 2 : One only had to reside in the parish for a minimum of 6 weeks to be of that parish at mrge and does not in anyway indicate the location of birth of later baptism).

I’m afraid there is no reference in the baptism register which would equate to a possible baptism of Henry or Mary at Monkton.

This all does NOT ident the last resting place you require. I can only think and research further to see what if anything I can come up with, but you are most certainly not the 1st that I know of who has convincing evidence of a local burial that can not be located.

Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline westielady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 May 13 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Owen

That is terrible I used to work in a cemetery and crematorium, and the records there were marked down for everything and everyone who was interred.  I will just have to think that maybe Henry and Martha were buried in the same grave as Martha's mother.  But I am really grateful for your information.  Boy you have certainly gone into this, you must spend all your time and have such a knowledge of the people and the land in that area.  I take my cap off to you, again I know where to come if I get stuck with any further family members.

Best regards to you

Mandy ;)