Author Topic: Sebastopol-Rhymney Valley  (Read 6381 times)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sebastopol-Rhymney Valley
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 15:05 BST (UK) »
I was at New Tredegar Technical school in the late 1950's and one of my school friends was a Ivor Smedley Th*****  (can't place names of living people and he may probably be still around).  Always thought it was a strange name and now assume he must have been part of the Smedley family.

I see that Verona's father Daniel is on the same 1861 census page as his mother Mary Ann Smedley innkeeper at the Sebastopol Arms.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 15:45 BST (UK) »
Welshuw forgot to say welcome to rootschat.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 20:45 GMT (UK) »
I live in Abertysswg; just the other side of the valley where sebastapol once stood. Had family live there many many years ago. Including Verona Smedley who was my great grandfathers mother.

The ruins of the white building (Inn?) are still there.

Hi; Can you please expand on your memories of Sebastopol.  The census returns for Sebastopol place the Inn at No 2 close to the terrace of cottages and newspaper articles and electoral registers suggest the white building off to the right of picture is semi detached cottages named Pleasant View?  I would appreciate any help.
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 November 22 11:12 GMT (UK) »

Hi All

People's memories add so much to the history of a place and I would appreciate your memories of Sebastopol

Thanks
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk