Author Topic: Agnes Macarthur born 1884 Cumberland  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Kiaya

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes Macarthur born 1884 Cumberland
« on: Monday 11 February 13 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to identify an Agnes Macarthur born in Cumberland in 1884.  I have two records, one my great aunt Agnes Macarthur daughter of George and Elizabeth born in that year but there was another registered in Whitehaven JFM 1884 10b 607.
I think she may have been my Agnes' cousin, possibly the daughter of John Macarthur and Catherine McGregor (Macarthur).  Can anyone help?

Many thanks Sue

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Macarthur born 1884 Cumberland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 13 10:40 GMT (UK) »

Hi

The 1891 Census has 2 Agnes MACARTHUR born 1884.... one is Agnes H MACARTHUR born Maryport daughter of George and Elizabeth L and Agnes M MACARTHUR born Templayle daughter of James and Emily H.

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 13 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Agnes M MACARTHUR born Templayle daughter of James and Emily H.

I think birthplace will be Lamplugh which is in Whitehaven district. :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Kiaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 13 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for clearing that up for me.  I have a very old family photograph of the Macarthur family taken around 1900.  In amongst the family is a young girl of about 20 who I believe to be a relative.  She has been identified as a niece named McGregor.  From this I have supposed her to be the daughter of my great grandfather George's twin brother John Macarthur who married a Catherine McGregor in 1881.  John died of TB in 1883 and I can find no further trace of Catherine who I believe was born around 1860.  John appears in the 1881 census in Govan, staying with his sister Margaret Toomie.  That census was taken on the night of 3 April and John married Catherine on the 29th.
I have checked the census records and found a possible Catherine who was 18 in 1881 and was a Domestic Dervant to a Peter McKellar and family in Govan.  I am wondering if this could be her and that perhaps they she and John had a daughter who appears in the photograph.
I would love to be able to find a record of Catherine after 1881 but have been unable to to find her using either Macarthur or McGregor.  John lived in Monkton and died there which is why I was trying to find a daughter's birth and the only one I could find was an Agnus, which is obviously wrong.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Sue