Author Topic: looking for details on the 42nd dragoons  (Read 2620 times)

Offline jimbo61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
looking for details on the 42nd dragoons
« on: Monday 11 February 13 19:29 GMT (UK) »
i am looking were to get detail for a Henry Weston who served in the 42nd dragoons around 1878 he may have been killed around that time any help please 

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: looking for details on the 42nd dragoons
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi -

Can I check where the info about the 42nd Dragoons came from and that it is definitely what it says?

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jimbo61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 12:45 GMT (UK) »
hi thanks the info came off a marriage cert on it the farther of groom it said father's name Henry Weston
deceased rank and profession is private 42nd dragoons the date on of the marriage cert is 1899 i think he may have been killed around 1878/9 not sure   

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - and I presume you are talking about the UK?

There wasn't a 42nd Dragoons at that time (either of those dates) in this country.
Can you double check the certificate perhaps  - and make sure of what it says? Or if it is not easy to read perhaps post that bit of the certificate on here?

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline jimbo61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 16:06 GMT (UK) »
hi this is in the UK i have attached for you to look at  thanks

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 16:23 GMT (UK) »
42nd Dragoons didn't exist.
I would say it's 4th Dragoons, but even that's a bit of a misnomer in 1878, they were named the 4th Hussars since 1861
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 16:26 GMT (UK) »
I think it says 4th - but then there is a squiggle underneath which could be I or 2 or 7 or just a squiggle.

I am leaning towards 4th L Dragoons  (4th Light Dragoons?...same as the 4th (Queen's own) Hussars Neil mentions)
Scrimnet suggest 4th Royal Irish Dragoons.

It would be interesting to see what others come up with ..and which existed at the time ;D

The details would have been provided for the marriage cert presumably by the daughter who may only remember that he was in the 4th Dragoons and not that they changed their name in 1861?

Milly

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Where was the daughter (and any other children) born?  Do you have her brith cert and was he in the army then?

What makes you think he died around 1878/9

Perhaps that info may help?

Milly

Offline jimbo61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Joesph who is the son of Henry on cert was born 1879 his mother Mary and Henry wed 1878 in 1882 his mother has got wed again to a john Kelly they have two son James and Thomas.
in the 1881 census Joesph is living with his gran mother Elizabeth smith this is why i think his farther may be dead or may be they got divorced but 1899 he was dead or maybe his mother never got married to kelly