Author Topic: What does DNP mean?  (Read 5370 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
What does DNP mean?
« on: Monday 11 February 13 20:21 GMT (UK) »
That is, if it is actually DNP and not DSP or DVP or DHP!

It occurs on several pages of the New Monkland baptism register in the 1780s and 1790s. The register is laid out in rough columns, for date, parents' names, child's name and parents' residence. When it occurs, D?P is written above the place of residence.

I wondered if it might be 'Did Not Pay' but there seem to be rather a large number of such listings, and they mostly, if not all, pre-date the introduction of the short-lived fee for recording baptisms in the parish register.

Also wondered about 'Decessit vivendo patre' ('died during father's lifetime') but (a) in some of the entries it is a clear 'N', and (b) I know for certain that some of the children with the mystery annotations did not predecease their father. (Specifically, Elizabeth Waddell's brother Matthew, in his will dated 1820, describes Elizabeth as widow of John Bisset of Caldercroox, and he leaves money to these three Bisset children.)

I've attached a page so you can see what I mean. (Moderator - I considered cropping it but I think you need the whole page to see the variations.)

It has just struck me that all the annotated entries on this page are out of their chronological order - the page is dated 1792 but most of the entries are earlier.

Ideas, anyone?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: What does DNP mean?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 13 20:47 GMT (UK) »
DSP in the parish registers can often be:

Decessit sine prole, died without issue - http://keithdash.net/OldWords.pdf

Makes no sense though here  :-\ So, different meaning to the initials.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 13 20:50 GMT (UK) »
DSP in the parish registers can often be:
Decessit sine prole, died without issue
Makes no sense though here

No, I did think of that, but it's hard to see how that would be relevant in the register of baptisms ???
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 13 20:52 GMT (UK) »
D H P? de hac parochia = of this parish

Two places do not have the mystery designation. Are they in the parish? I've not seen this before either.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 13 20:57 GMT (UK) »
D H P? domicilium horum parentum = abode of these parents

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 February 13 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Two places do not have the mystery designation. Are they in the parish? I've not seen this before either.

Crookeddyke is in New Monkland, and I can't make out the name of the other place not annotated.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

The way the page is laid out reminds me of the OPRs from Muthill Perthshire, where the records had been destroyed during the 45 when the beadles house was destroyed. From memory of the records the minister went knocking on doors to get details of the families living there and in some cases there are 3 or 4 generations of the same family on the one page.It still does not explain the annotations but could give an indication why there are families listed in order as opposed to dates.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A non-Latin possibility - the Stamp Duties Act - between  1783 and 1794 stamp duty of 3d was levied on entries in parish registers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamp_Duties_Act_1783

Maybe DNP = Did Not Pay.

brevitas

PS - I note that Forfarian did think this but thought the dates were too early:

pre-date the introduction of the short-lived fee for recording baptisms in the parish register.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Looks like D&P to me?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk