Author Topic: Why would there be a Private Baptism?  (Read 779 times)

Offline gmc4404

• RootsChat Member
  • I am in Australia - Not the best at UK Geography!
    • View Profile
Why would there be a Private Baptism?
« on: Tuesday 12 February 13 01:25 GMT (UK) »
A previous thread on RC has stated the following:

South Bermondsey St Augustine
1888 Oct 23, Lily Louisa, d/o John & Annie RAYSON, 71 Raymouth Rd, Lighterman - PB on left of page so Privately Baptised.

Looking at the document (parish register) via Ance***y shows the "PB" noted on the margin.

Why would a baptism be "private"??
Whould this happen if the child was not actually their own or the fathers but not the mothers??

Interestingly the previosu RC thread states that they are not the Lily Louisa RAYSON born Sherborne Dorset   - i gather they are referring to  RAYSON    Lily Louisa     Sherborne 5a   348   

Any thoughts??

GMC

NAYLER - Brockley and Lewisham
FORD - Brockley and Lewisham
RAYSON - Brockley & Lewisham
CUNNINGHAM in Australia but not getting very far!!
And many others.........

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why would there be a Private Baptism?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 01:40 GMT (UK) »
A privatge baptism usually indicates that it was an emergency measure because the child was not expected to survive.
In the Anglican religion, if the child survives, it seems they are subsequently 'received into the church'.
In the RC religion, a baptism is a baptism.  But you sometimes see someone 'conditionally' baptised which happens if there is no certainty that the person is already baptised, i.e. no substantiated evidence has been found that a baptism took place.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)