Author Topic: Peter Cameron  (Read 16384 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Cameron
« Reply #36 on: Monday 18 February 13 08:11 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census (as on FreeCen) suggests that Donald Cameron married Charlotte Middleton in or after 1841 and that the children on the 1841 census were by a previous wife.

I see what you mean, but it's quite common for women in the 1841 census to be listed by their maiden surnames and maybe Charlotte worked as a servant for a local laird? The 1841 census doesn't list the relationships of household members to the head.

The listing on LIBINDX says that Donald and Charlotte were married on 15 June 1821 at Dalavrogat. This is from the Kirkmichael Roman Catholic registers, in other words the same source as SP, so I would be inclined to believe it. LIBINDX also (not surprisingly) lists Peter's baptism in 1827 (suggesting that his age in the census is incorrect).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 18 February 13 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Ye, I'm sure that is Charlotte using her maiden name. The marriage record from SP states that  "Donald, son of James Cameron in Tombreck and Charlotte Middleton, daughter of Paymaster John Middleton of the ...Regt. were married June 5th 1821"

Charlotte's father was John Middleton, Captain in the 42nd Regiment of Foot.
milford, greenhalgh, childs, norman, (england) tripcony, drew, thomas, boddy (cornwall), hendry, harrold, riach, gray, grant (scotland)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 18 February 13 14:32 GMT (UK) »

Libindx has his baptism as 18 Apr 1827, parents Donald Cameron, mason of Tombreck and Charlotte Middleton, matching those 1841/51 Census' for Donald & Charlotte.

Good to think outside of the box, we all have to when a search is complicated! Main initial comment I have here is the likely birth year of this Peter, around 1827 (he shows as born c. 1829 on that 1851 census you mention, with always the more general ages).

Your Robert's birth year will likely have been around mid/late 1830s going by his age at death in 1865. Even with an 1840 birth for Robert, the Peter above would only have been c. 13 years old  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 18 February 13 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you're right, Monica, when I thought about it afterwards it did seem a bit of a stretch, even though the date of 1827 is for a baptism. So I looked for Peter Cameron, son of William and Penuel Middleton. His brother Donald WOULD be uncle to Robert Cameron.

Coincidentally he died in 1861 and was baptised in 1825, which means he would have been about 15 when Robert was born.

However he is listed a teacher and licentiate of the Church of Scotland, (which of course would not preclude him from fathering a child in his teens) not a mason.

I looked again at the 1851 Census from Auchindrine which I mentioned earlier and there are actually 2 Peter Camerons listed there, slight difference in age, born in Kirkmichael and both being masons.  Perhaps this could be the cousins. I suppose there is no reason that one could not later have decided to become a minister.
milford, greenhalgh, childs, norman, (england) tripcony, drew, thomas, boddy (cornwall), hendry, harrold, riach, gray, grant (scotland)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 12:58 GMT (UK) »
My money is still with the family we found in Abernethy for lots of reasons which we have touched on here and on the deciphering board post. A little summary here of some of the things we have found:

We know that Duncan and Mary's son, Donald and family were living on the High Street Elgin at the right time for Donald to have reported Robert's death there in 1865. This Donald showed as a grocer living in Elgin from at least 1861-63. By 1871 at least, the family had moved away to Inverness.

We know from his death cert. that Donald was the son of Duncan and Mary from Abernethy.

We have Donald's signature from his daughter's birth cert in 1863 and also (I think) a matching signature for Robert's death in 1865 for 'Uncle Donald'.

The Abernethy family has a Robert Cameron, in the right age group, showing in the household in both 1841 and 1851. There is also a suitable corresponding entry for a Robert Cameron, with an Abernethy birth place and the occupation of ploughman, on the 1861 census.

I think one confirmation that might help to link everything up would be to find a Donald Cameron, grocer, living at 222 High Street in 1865. Valuation rolls, as discussed, would help with this if someone could help there with a look up....

We have a potential marriage for Duncan and Mary from Abernethy in 1814. We know that Duncan's father was called Peter. It would fit that he would call his first born son Peter, likely born between 1814-21. We pick up on their children with Donald's entry from 1822. Often happens that pre 1855, you have gaps on the registers for lots of reasons (if you are lucky to find anything at all!). Given we cannot see a Peter, mason, in 1841 that fits for this family, he could have died potentially before this year?

All suppositions really at this stage. Hard fact is just the details we have so far on that 1865 death cert.

Monica  :)

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 14:13 GMT (UK) »
I dont have a picture, but I have some old sheets from Abernethy which includes the following stone

Duncan Cameron, w Mary McKenzie, s Peter 21.12.1844 29, s John 3.9.1836
19, s Alex 27.5.1849 23, s Donald ed

Stone has either gone, illegible or I just missed it. Peter died aged 29 years in 1844.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 14:20 GMT (UK) »
I dont have a picture, but I have some old sheets from Abernethy which includes the following stone

Duncan Cameron, w Mary McKenzie, s Peter 21.12.1844 29, s John 3.9.1836
19, s Alex 27.5.1849 23, s Donald ed

Stone has either gone, illegible or I just missed it. Peter died aged 29 years in 1844.

Wonderful!

We just need to find him in 1841 now

:D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 20:19 GMT (UK) »
And it is for reasons such as this that I love RootsChat  ;D Ghostwhisper, thank you from me...I have obsessed on this one  ;)

Peter aged 29 at death in 1844 so born c. 1815, so with our guessing hat, likely that 1814 marriage we had is correct and Peter probably first born child/son....which all fits so well!

Monica

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Heartfelt thanks to you all for all your hard work, I am so grateful. The family from Abernethy certainly fits the bill. I will put in a request at the Moray Heritage Centre re that valuation roll.