Author Topic: Peter Cameron  (Read 16375 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Cameron
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 21:05 GMT (UK) »
emjaye, let us know how that goes please.

Would be great to get that last definitive piece of info, wouldn't it!

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 02 May 13 04:46 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

Apologies for the delay.  The reply from the Moray Heritage Centre was very disappointing. Although I mentioned Robert Cameron's parents Peter & Jane, Uncle Donald and the High St address, all I received was a copy of Robert's death listing in the 'Elgin Courant' and a page of notes about the Harrold family which I already knew. They wanted a further 15 GBP to search for his birth/baptism/census........ !!!!!!! No information on Peter.

However, I have continued to dig......

(Uncle) Donald Cameron died in 1887 in Factory St., Inverness and his wife Jessie/Janet Grigor died earlier in 1879, also in Factory Street.

Parents of Donald and Peter, Duncan Cameron and Mary McKenzie died in Abernethy in 1875 and 1870 respectively.

Duncan Cameron's parents  were Peter Cameron and Margaret McIntosh (from both birth and death certificates) and he was born in Abernethy on 3rd July 1796. This Peter Cameron, great grandfather of my original Robert, was a farmer.

So all in all, a great outcome, thank you all for your time and effort on my behalf   :)

milford, greenhalgh, childs, norman, (england) tripcony, drew, thomas, boddy (cornwall), hendry, harrold, riach, gray, grant (scotland)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 02 May 13 08:51 BST (UK) »
They wanted a further 15 GBP to search for his birth/baptism/census........ !!!!!!!

Why not? All this takes staff time, and therefore costs money. £15 won't even buy an hour's research by the time you add in all the overheads, and the birth/baptism/census can be accessed cheaper at Scotland's People.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 02 May 13 09:49 BST (UK) »
my point is, all these things I have already found myself.......
milford, greenhalgh, childs, norman, (england) tripcony, drew, thomas, boddy (cornwall), hendry, harrold, riach, gray, grant (scotland)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 02 May 13 09:59 BST (UK) »
my point is, all these things I have already found myself.......

So you already had the birth/baptism and census information, and you didn't tell them? What a very good thing that they didn't waste their time duplicating what you had already found for yourself  ;)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline emjaye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 02 May 13 10:27 BST (UK) »
yes, actually, I had notified them of parentage details, I didn't pluck them out of thin air.........