Author Topic: CARRIGG Hannah - born Killaloe Co.Clare 1844 - looking for mothers maiden name  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Jillianstella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,
Wondering if anyone can help - my g.g.grandmother Hannah Carrigg was born in Killaloe County Clare Ireland I believe on 23.6.1844 - her father's name was Thomas Carrigg, her mother's  name on her marriage cert. was shown as Catherine Duggan but on her death cert. it is shown as Catherine Connolly, other family tree sites show Catherine Connellan - wondering if anyone would have any idea where I might obtain her birth cert. from, I am in Australia and have absolutely no idea where to go.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Jillian

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CARRIGG Hannah - born Killaloe Co.Clare 1844 - looking for mothers maiden name
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate.

Registration of Catholic marriages started in 1864 (from 1845 for non-Catholic marriages) so there will be no marriage certificate.

You need to see if a church record exists but since daughter Hannah was born 1844 (and she might not have been the eldest child) there might not be any surviving records in Ireland.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: CARRIGG Hannah - born Killaloe Co.Clare 1844 - looking for mothers maiden name
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 11:53 GMT (UK) »
slightly later date than your Thomas Carrigg, Griffith's valuation shows an Anthony Carrick in the civil parish of Killaloe that might be related. (no Carrigg that I see in the parish)

He's listed in Killaloe town with several properties on Carrick's Lane. The date for this section of the valuation is 1855.

see : Carr*, Killaloe civil parish, Co. Clare

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Jillianstella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,
Many thanks to you for replying to my original query - I really don't know anything about Ireland's record keeping etc. and any help/information I can get is more than welcome.  Being in Australia we are only just over 200 years old in record keeping and most certs. are available online however I have come across spelling errors in surnames here as well as overseas, I can imagine this is due to accents and the fact that in the 1700-1800 a lot of people couldn't read or write so the spelling was left to whoever was taking down the information.  I'm hoping to visit beautiful Ireland in the next couple of years, something my grandmother would have loved to do but just simply didn't make it, I thought she was more Irish than the Irish at times so we had a celtic cross put on her headstone.
Anyhow, Many thanks once again,
Regards,
Jillian