Author Topic: Humphreys/Humphries Paternal Great grand parents.  (Read 780 times)

Offline Trevor W

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Humphreys/Humphries Paternal Great grand parents.
« on: Tuesday 12 February 13 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Last year I had a great deal of help from RootsChat locating a marriage cert for my maternal great grand parents William and Hannah Jones (many thanks to those who assisted especially "Rhosgoch").
I'm again in need of assistance locating another marriage cert for my paternal great grand parents Henry and Elizabeth Humphreys (or Humphries?).
Henry George Humphries was born in Liverpool in 1863, he was the son of John (born Liverpool) and Elizabeth Humphries  who were married in Liverpool in January 1855. Elizabeth nee Johns was born in Milford c1831.
In the 1871 census Elizabeth (now a widow) was found in Roberts St, Steynton, Milford with her children John, Henry and Alice. Henry is found again in Steynton in the 1881 census as a servant in 14 Charles St (aged 18).The above info courtesy of "Ciderdrinker" again many thanks.
He married another Elizabeth also born in Milford and settled in Llanelly where they and their daughter Mary Jane are found up to and beyond the 1911 census.
1891 census    27 Water St Llanelly
1901 census    30 New Rd Llanelly
1911 census    30 New Rd Llanelly
I've tried all permutations of Humphries in Ancestry.co.uk but can't find a marriage to match my info. Can anyone help?
Thanks Trevor W.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Humphreys/Humphries Paternal Great grand parents.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 13:28 GMT (UK) »
not only can I not find a marriage, I can't see a likely birth reg for Mary Jane either. This make it look likely that the couple didn't marry, at least at that time. I've had a look at the various Mary Janes registered Haverfordwest june qtr 1887 - june qtr 1888 making her 3 in 1891 and 13 in 1901. There are 10 candidates, 3 of them died before the 1891 census, 5 of them are enumerated with family in 1891, leaving 2 who are both Mary Jane Davies registered sept qtr 1887. I think you'll need to ask the registrars to check the birth register for a Mary Jane with mother Elizabeth and no father.
It's possible that the birth or the marriage reg is one that didn't make its way form the local registrar to the GRO index, but I doubt that both would get left out in that way.

::)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb