Author Topic: Wingerworth Bishops Transcripts  (Read 2935 times)

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wingerworth Bishops Transcripts
« on: Tuesday 12 February 13 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I was trying without success to decifer the Wingerworth Parish Records yesturday as they are far from complete and what is there is virtually unreadable. Can anyone tell me if the BT's are any better please.

Andy
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wingerworth Bishops Transcripts
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 15:58 GMT (UK) »
having just looked and read a little about Wingerworth understandable the frustration would be evident...   given a vast amount of the records are in latin....

in an effort to assist if you are not aware i have posted the following information so as to give alternatives or full scopes of materials for this place....

Wingerworth DBY 1837 1974 Chesterfield

Wingerworth Parish Registers
BAPTISMS 1539-1880 MARRIAGES 1553-1935 BURIALS limited
 BAPTISMS 1539-1885 MARRIAGES 1553-1900
 BURIALS 1846-1848

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Wingerworth/index.html#ChurchRecords

https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Wingerworth,_Derbyshire#Church_records

there may be something useful in that...and i hope so...

good luck on your quest...

fastfusion
 :)

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 21:55 GMT (UK) »
You might have more luck if you "Batch Numbers" route onto Familysearch........in case you don't know this......Google "Batch Numbers"...select the first option..then click on England..scroll down to Derbyshire n-z..and click on W..this will bring up Wingerworth......enter your requirements..and although the years are limited..the hard work scrutinizing has been done for you.......

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for the tips. I'm looking for the Cowlishaw surname and found one by looking very hard with a magnifying glass at the Wingerworth PR film for 1655 and there are two (in 1771 & 1773) that have been transcribed and can be seen on 'Family Search'. I'm convinced there are more in between these dates but unless the BT's are more clear and complete than the PR's then I'm not going to find them. :'(

Andy
Cowlishaw Derbyshire