Author Topic: mackie family, crigglestone, wakefield, painthorpe school, cliff house  (Read 2241 times)

Offline vnicholson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mackie family, crigglestone, wakefield, painthorpe school, cliff house
« on: Tuesday 12 February 13 16:23 GMT (UK) »
hi everyone, Im researching the Mackie family and would appreciate any info anyone has, I particularly would like a photo of Painthorpe first school that the Mackies funded (in Wakefield) and is now demolished, Cliff House in Crigglestone, Wakefield where John Mackie and his wife Mary Elizabeth lived (demolished in the 50's) I have also been trying to find any pictures of the many memorials and plaques in the area that I know exist but it seems that nobody has ever photographed them. I understand that some exist in Wakefield cathedral (all saints) and a plaque dedicated to R.B (Robert Bownas) Mackie in a church called St Johns. They were a very prominent influencial family but finding out about them and finding tangable evidence is proving very difficult even with the internet and sites like ancestry, find my past etc. ANy help much appreciated as always
vikki

Offline carleenclifffarm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: mackie family, crigglestone, wakefield, painthorpe school, cliff house
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 March 13 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name is carleen and I currently own the part of cliff house that still stands there is very little on the internet but cliff house was originally owned by samuel holdsworth in 1795and went on auction on his death in 1829 I think it changed hands again  and purchased by a scotsman whom was a corn merchant in april 1864 Robert jefferson makie whom had 2 daughters and 4 sons robert bownas, david, edward alexander and john . John and wife mary elizabeth took up residence in november 1864 I could go on all night I have a couple of pictures and quite a bit of info

Offline carleenclifffarm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 March 13 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Painthorpe school was completed in the autumn of 1875 and opened3rd jan 1876 the first headmaster appointed solely by john mackie was 21 year old frederick h whittingstall

Offline carleenclifffarm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 March 13 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Cliff house was demolished in 1958 due to major structural defects it split in two cause the coal boardstarted working beneath it in1951 my family moved in the offices in1962 the cellars for the mansion were still here but later burried

Offline vnicholson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 March 13 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, thanks so much for your reply, It sounds like you know quite a bit about Cliff House having lived there for so long. Any info or photos that you have I would be really interested in seeing or having copies of for my research if that would be ok, I live locally in Hall Green and could bob up to see you anytime really, (if thats acceptable to you that is) or you can email me or phone me to sort somethig out (i'll personal message you this info) thanks loads and hope to hear from you soon

vikki

Offline vnicholson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 March 13 22:16 GMT (UK) »
hi again, by the way my hubby is in to digging for old bottles on old dumps etc, if you're local do you know if there was a tip for cliffe house nearby? Everytime I mention cliff house it gets him thinking about where the tip is for it! Strange question I know, but its just my hubbys thing! (most big houses tended to have a tip/waste area nearby in those days)

vikki

Offline Pictavian

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 December 23 12:59 GMT (UK) »
hi everyone, Im researching the Mackie family and would appreciate any info anyone has, I particularly would like a photo of Painthorpe first school that the Mackies funded (in Wakefield) and is now demolished, Cliff House in Crigglestone, Wakefield where John Mackie and his wife Mary Elizabeth lived (demolished in the 50's) I have also been trying to find any pictures of the many memorials and plaques in the area that I know exist but it seems that nobody has ever photographed them. I understand that some exist in Wakefield cathedral (all saints) and a plaque dedicated to R.B (Robert Bownas) Mackie in a church called St Johns. They were a very prominent influencial family but finding out about them and finding tangable evidence is proving very difficult even with the internet and sites like ancestry, find my past etc. ANy help much appreciated as always
vikki
This may be of interest to you. I have an election medallion commemorating the election of R B Mackie mp for Wakefield in 1880. Not a clue how to upload a picture though!