Author Topic: TARPY/TARPEY  (Read 3856 times)

Offline mollyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
TARPY/TARPEY
« on: Sunday 05 June 05 11:50 BST (UK) »
The Tarpy family of LEEDS left Ireland during the famine in the 1840,s family have always been told they came from SLIGO but we are having trouble pinning them down to an area. Main names used in the generations are Patrick and Thomas Bridet Catherine and Margaret. I know these are common but if anyone can help I would be very gratefull

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: TARPY/TARPEY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 June 05 12:06 BST (UK) »
I can find Tarpey family back to 1820 in Roscommon  then from about 1865 in Mayo but those names are used in all Irish families if you can take me back to the info you have I may stand a chance but with just names its impossible

audrey

Offline rpkaye

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 22:08 BST (UK) »
I wonder if my Tarpey puzzle might connect with yours - I'd be interested to know the details of any Tarpeys you have.

My gg-grandmother Sarah Tarpey was born illegitimate in Huddersfield in 1845 (the birth was registered as Tarp). Her mother was Mary Tarpey, born about 1821 in Sligo.  Mary does not appear in the 1841 census for Huddersfield (it is searchable online), but they appear together in the 1851 census. Mary married Lewis Landy, a Jewish Hungarian in 1852 (she described herself as a spinster) and had some more children Ann, Mary, Esther and Joseph. She died in 1879.

Sarah married Peter Galvin in 1864. They had children James, Mary, Sarah Ann, Luke, Peter and Bridget.

No father is given on Sarah's birth certificate, but on her marriage cert, father is given as "Edward Tarpey", occupation "Deceased". Now this may be fictitious, or her father may have been called Edward but not Tarpey. I suppose there's just a long shot he may actually have been called Edward Tarpey (e.g. if her father was her mother's cousin).

On Mary's marriage certificate she gave her father as "James Tarpy, deceased", a farmer.

I've hit something of a dead end with them, as I can't find - and don't really expect to find - a birth for Mary. But I suppose it's possible they are somehow related to your branch - Huddersfield is fairly close to Leeds, and Mary had no disernable relatives in Huddersfield - there are no other Tarpys in any Huddersfield census (1841-1901 are all searchable online).

It's certainly something of a mystery this lone Irish girl of about twenty is suddenly parachuted into Huddersfield with no relatives identifiable, sometime between 1841 and 1845 (potato famine might well be to blame)

Offline mollyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 July 05 11:15 BST (UK) »
sorry i have been a while replying am off line right now and borrowing a pc this morning. Yes I think there may be something here. I am going to Leeds next week to look through the 1841 census, with luck she may be there and was sent to Huddersfield to have her baby. From what I have dates of births etc, our James came over about 1837 which is slightly earlier than we thought. Thats if the 1851 census gives birth places correctly. Will get to a pc asp and let you know if I find her. The Sligo link makes me wonder as most of the Tarpys stayed in Mayo till leaving Ireland, but my friend says his family insisted they were from Sligo, probably originating in Mayo. Will be in touch