Author Topic: 18th Century silk weaver - Spitalfields  (Read 13389 times)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 18th Century silk weaver - Spitalfields
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 March 13 10:00 GMT (UK) »
No problem OFG, happy to help.

I realise I might be running a bit ahead of you here, but I did have a look into the family of your 4 x great grandmother Elizabeth Robelow/Robelou, while this was all still fresh in my memory, hope that is okay.

She was born 30 Mar 1786 and baptised 16 Jul 1786 at St Leonard's, Shoreditch, to William Robelou and Anne White, who had married at Saint Dunstan's,Stepney 13 Oct 1781.

As my above post William was baptised in the Huguenot churches, as 'Guillaume' the French form of his name at La Patente Spitalfields on 19 Aug 1760:

" Guillaume Robelou son of Thomas Robelou and  Susanne Martin baptised  19 Aug 1760 by Monsieur Tavan, minister, Godparents Thomas Robelou and Judith Robelou, born 5 Aug 1760"   

His parents had been married 1 November 1759 at St Matthew's, Bethnal Green. They had six children together, the first three baptised at La Patente, the last three at St Matthew's.

His father Thomas Robelou entered the French Protestant Charity Hospital in Bath Road, St Lukes, 'La Providence' in his old age. He applied there April 12, 1800 on grounds of ill health and infirmity. His petition describes him as 73 years old, a member of the French Church of London over 50 years,  a silk weaver, son of Henry Robelou, grandson of Henry Robelou, religious refugee of Paris'.  (Further family records at the Hospital give his wife as Susanna Martin Born May the 15th 1733 old Stile.) He was admitted 27 Sep the same year 1800 and remained until his death 15 January 1803.

From this information Thomas's baptism was fairly easy to find:

St Jean Huguenot, Spitalfields: "Thomas Roubelou, son of Henry,  Baptised 27 November 1726 by Monsieur H. de Ste. Colome, Minister. Godfather Thomas Bufar. Godmother Marie Coussot. Born 9 Nov."

Henry Robelou and his wife Judith Moreau had two other children baptised at this church, and six at the near by  Wheeler Street Huguenot congregation between 1725-1738. Three of his nine children sadly died in infancy and on their burials he is described as a silk weaver of Bethnal Green, though interestingly on his marriage to Judith, 1 October 1723, Saint Dunstan, Stepney, he was described as a musician. Both Henry and Judith were buried in Bethnal Green, in 1760 and 1763 respectively.

According to his son Thomas's later hospital record Henry was the son of another Henry a refugee of Paris but I do not believe this is accurate.

The only Henry I can find was baptised 1691 at Leicester Fields Huguenot Congregation, Westminster:

"Henry, son of Joseph Roblou and Catherine Girrard, of Burgundy, born 16 December 1691, baptised 27 December 1691, by Monsieur Le Blond, Minister, Godfather Pierre Lestrelin, Godmother Madamoiselle  Anne la Roche"

Joseph and Catherine had arrived as refugees in London with two small children in Feburary 1681, Joseph joining the Threadneedle Street Church on the 7th of that month with a testimonial from the Huguenot Temple of Saint-Mandé, a suburb of Paris. Despite this the family were actually originally from the small village of Saint Julien-Du-Sualt,  80 miles further to the south just outside the town of Sens, and this may have been the source of Thomas's later confusion on this point over a century later.

In January 1682, they received charity help from the Threadneedle Street Church, Joseph described there as a labourer, and apparently were given a further grant to settle in Ireland two months later. If they did so, they were certainly back in London by 1691, which of course would make sense as Ireland was ravaged by war 1688-90.

I do believe their son Henry is the same man who married Judith Moreau in East London, as another son to the couple, Joseph Robelou Junior, married Madeleine Tavan, daughter of  Gaspar Tavan, on 28 Feb 1714 in London.

A Jeanne Magdeleine Tavan stood as godmother to Henry and Judith Robelou's youngest daughter who was also named for her in Spitalfields in 1738. Minister Samuel Tavan of Spitalfields later baptised the first three children of Thomas and Susanne Robelou in the 1760's including your ancestor William. This enduring family link seems to indicate it is one and the same family.

Anything else I can help with let me know

Best regards

Richard
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 March 13 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,
Thankyou so much, you have given me such a headstart on this line of my tree. It's so facinating and i'm amazed you managed to unearth so much. I can't wait to show my mum what you've found, she will be thrilled.
It never ceases to amaze me where we all come from and just how much our ancestors moved around. Even when researching my husbands line who seemed to have come from the Blackisle north of Inverness and never moved I found a wild card name and realised it came from Norway,( only 3 hours by boat) and realized we were heading of on a tangent.
I really appreciate the time you have spent and cant thank you enough.

Cheers,

OFG

Offline gingertrixy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 April 13 15:43 BST (UK) »
 ;D hello everyone, I am looking for the St John (Jean) family  they were also weavers of some description.  They came to Spitalfeilds from Canterbury-  I have linked names of Monnier, Hagnere and some others - I am looking for what they did in Spitalfields..  One family member lived in 'Hare Street' Bethnal Green....  can anyone lead me anywhere?

Fabulous thread this is..

thankyou so much

sj  :)

Offline Gazatam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 29 June 19 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hello "richarde1979"

I am new to Rootschat and unsure how it all works!! so I thought I would reply to this thread and see if we can connect.

I have just read your very interesting comments on the above topic, re the Phipps's of Bethnal Green. I wonder if you could help me.

We have a Thomas Phipps (1812-1854) who married Ann Mary Emerson (1816-1889) who both come from Bethnal Green and were weavers. We have been able to trace back the Ann Emerson line but have been unsuccessful with trying to find the parents of Thomas. 

In the above thread you made the following comment...

"Peter and Elizabeth had several children baptised in East London between 1765-81. His son Robert Phipps, born 11 December 1776, baptised Christmas day 1776 at St Matthew's, Bethnal Green, was apprenticed aged 15 on 3 January 1792 as a silk weaver, to Matthew Read citizen and weaver. His elder brother Thomas had also been apprenticed to the same gentleman 7 years earlier. Their father Peter was described as a weaver on their records, of St John Street, Bethnal Green in 1785, and Mile End New Town in 1792. Peter died in 1827, leaving a will, and his adress at that time was Wilmot Street, Bethnal Green."

I am wondering if the Thomas that you mention above (probably born around 1770) is connected to our Thomas (b1812) (a couple of generations later!!)

We would be very grateful if you could provide us with any information that would confirm or otherwise the above connection.

Kind regards

Garry

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 01 July 19 17:45 BST (UK) »
This article may be of interest.
 "Forgotten weavers' housing of the Spitalfields silk district in London" by Peter Guillery, "Family Tree" magazine, 4th June 2019.
https://www.family-tree.co.uk/how-to-guides/find-uk-ancestors-by-region
Cowban

Offline Gazatam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 01 July 19 22:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that was very interesting!!

Offline DENCAR48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 07:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Richarde and Emmeline, I have a Charles Carter weaver, apprenticed to Peter Duthoit Spitalfields May 30 1720. I am researching my Carter family, Huguenot refugees fled France about 1685 to Spitalfields but all records pre 1794 with the marriage of my g,g,g grandfather James have been lost. Unable to trace parents or siblings of James. All we have to go on are various snippets of hearsay handed down by family members over the generations but suspect that not all reliable. Name supposedly changed from Cartier or Chartier to Carter at some stage before early 1700s.Would appreciate if you could let me know if you have come across these Carters in your research of the Duthoits or in any relevant documents. Other names also probably in the silk trade were Thomas Carter about 1765, Benoitt Carter about 1721, William and John Carter about 1770s
Tks & rgds, Dennis Carter 

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 25 September 21 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hello DENCAR48,

i have taken time to look through all the docuiments I have on the Duthoits but can find no mention

of the Carter/Chartier name.  Sorry !

Emmeline.

Offline DENCAR48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 September 21 05:47 BST (UK) »
OK Emmeline, thanks for taking the time to check for me. The search continues !
Cheers, Dennis