Author Topic: Wakefield Family on the family estate began by Dr. Albert Wakefield  (Read 25075 times)

Offline fruitytooty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wakefield Family on the family estate began by Dr. Albert Wakefield
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 30 March 13 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Visit http://johnflemingwakefield.com/index.php?p=1_24_Ireland-Home for a picture of Robert Wakefield home-son of Dr. Albert Wakefield-supposingly the physican to the King-note that this site says the plaque in front of the home of Robert Wakefield says "Home of Robert Wakefield, Physican to the King, Born 1670, Aughrim, Galway, Ireland. I wonder what David Pilch and his "cherished piece of waistcoat" would say about this? From the reference in the Wakefield Memorial previously mentioned in a post. Anyone who lives in Ireland have an idea on the plaque in front of the home or why it is there? I live in the U.S.A. and cannot go to the places in Ireland so I ask on rootschat site for Ireland-who have access and knowlege for Ireland- so do not refer me to the place of the plaque. If someone asked me about a historical marker in the USA I would find a county historian to refer them to-certainly not tell them to go to the place-like Trinity College. fruitytooty

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 30 March 13 09:40 GMT (UK) »
The streets of Aughrim, Co. Galway are covered by Google Streetview so you should be able to see any plaque visible from the street. Simply go to Google Maps, type in 'aughrim, galway' and when the map appears drag the little orange person on the left side onto a blue line on the map.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline fruitytooty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 30 March 13 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info. fruitytooty

Offline fruitytooty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 11 April 13 15:13 BST (UK) »
I thought I would post information for another Wakefield family that may be related to this branch of Wakefields-they are located in the same location-the location info being from a visit to Ireland and the Nebeker Family History site previously mentioned.
From the son of E. Wakefield born 1935-female-this family emigrated when the son I am corresponding with was 1 year old. His grandfather was Joseph Wakefield b 1881 d 1956 and he lived on one of the Wakefield farms in Urrachee before he moved to Tullamore around the age of 14. (The home from the johnflemingwakefield site was pointed out as where his grandfather lived)Joseph married Eleanor Lawrence 1901-1977. Joseph was the son of Joseph Wakefield 1824-1901 who married a neighbor Anne Walsh 1845-1919. Joseph was the son of Charles Wakefield 1781-1866 who married Margaret 1790-1880. Anne was the dau of thomas Walsh.
Based on the 1911 census, all list Church of Ireland-and this could be debatable but it is prob mandatory at this time, there were 4 Wakefield farms at the time in Urrachee, Parish: Clontuskert: Farm 1 Joseph b 1881 brothers and sisters farm (thomas, charles, Annie, Lizzie, and Jane)
Farm2 William b 1848 (unmarried) unknown relation
Farm3 John Wakefield's b 1873 family-I think John was a son of Thomas, below
Farm4 Thomas Wakefield b 1836 family-possible Uncle to Farm 1
In 1855 there are records for Wakefields and Walshs in Clontuskert parish
Charles and William Wakefield and thomas Walsh. It is believed that Charles Wakefield is the forebearer for the Joseph Wakefield family. Perhaps William is the brother of Charles? There is not a Walsh farm in the 1911 census but Anne Walsh was the dau of Thomas Walsh. Like most Wakefield families the info seems to end at the end of the 18th century-beginning of 19th century. I believe it is due to the lack of records.
Does any of this information look familiar to any Wakefields or Walsh's that may read this?
Thanks, fruitytooty

Offline fruitytooty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 26 April 13 21:58 BST (UK) »
I wanted to add some information regarding previous posts. I have referenced John O'Harts Irish Pedigrees and The Landed Gentry When Cromwell Came to Ireland that both have Wakefield records in them. John Wakefield is on the list for the 1649 Officers. They are not members of Cromwell's Army-they are Protestant Royalist against the ideology of the Parliamentarians of Cromwell that executed Charles I-the Restoration Acts of 1660-Charles II-relate to the '49 Officers who served prior to 1649 and ended their service and remained loyal and Charles II recognized them. It is debatable about the lands in Ireland held by the Wakefields-John Wakefield and the Ulster Plantation-and in the Wakefield Memorial it states I believe 214-215 that his land was lost due to the Catholic Rebellion in 1641-but this is also debatable and you need to read history to understand this. I have been searching the National Archives in London-Irish papers are there-and there are records in the Calendar of State Papers relating to Ireland at openlibrary.org. In these are a lot of records with lots of names for people doing early research for Ireland ancestry. Also there are manuscripts you can access there-even some that were held at Trinity College, Dublin. In my search I have seen Genealogy Registers listed in the Records for Ireland held by the UK-it was the main place of government during the 1600's. The Calendar of State Papers, Ireland 1663-65 has information in it also for '49 Officers and the Restoration Acts 1660 by Charles II. In the Calendar for 1633-47 is info for Ulster Plantation and some explanations concerning Connaught, plantation, Ulster, and army info. I have found a record for Thomas Wakefield for a petition 1588 Jan 22-Ireland Papers, once again. Also in the Calendar for 1660-63 you can find records for 3 Wakefields.  George, Thomas-I found these interesting concerning people have listed brothers of John that include a George and a Thomas. http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.wakefield/443.5/mb.ashx is an example-and includes information I posted here in for Wakefield born in Pomfret Yorkshire England that is listed in hundreds of trees and doubted to being accurate here-so this is an example as to where I found this information-was asked at that site. All these Calendars help explain the history of Ireland-and an understanding of the 1649 Officers that people are confusing with being part of Cromwell's Army-I did-and they are not and lots of trees show this. The answer to where the Wakefields were between 1650 and 1691 I believe depend upon if they lost land or were granted land. And as the http://www.johnflemingwakefield.com/ click on Ireland home shows on the plaque the story about Dr. Albert is even debatable. It is possible that John Wakefield was granted land as part of the military in the mile line in the Province of Connacht. Or he had a previous land grant there not Ulster Plantation-upon reading the plaque it is as though Robert was born in 1670 Aughrim, Galway-this home is in Wakefield Village and was occupied by Joseph Wakefield in the 1800's. A member of the family, too. If land was lost and "moved" to this family estate as in the Wakefield Memorial-it would mean no home in Ireland prior to Dr. Albert's grant of land and even this contradicts the plaque saying Robert was. Just an update.
Thanks for reading and reply if you have a suggestion for researching the National Archives in London or history regarding Wakefield home in Ireland. fruitytooty

Offline fruitytooty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 24 August 13 15:50 BST (UK) »
I thought I would add a site to search for records that relate to the '49 Officers and John Wakefield who is said to of lost his land when he did not serve Cromwell but remained loyal to Charles. The 1649 Officers were Protestant Royalist-opposed to Cromwells Parliamentarian government. The 1660 Restoration Acts are also included in these various records. There are Books of Survey and Distribution Records for various counties that include Galway at this site http://www.irishmanuscripts.ie/servlet/Controller?action=digitisation_backlist
There are also some other early Irish historical manuscipts here and many on the list are important for early Irish genealogy but do not take my word for it they tell you this! I do not believe anyone has listed this site yet and I was hoping someone would list a site like this for the manuscipt I previously asked about that is found at Trinty College. I live in the USA and it seems there are sites online that do have Irish manuscripts. If you have read my postings you know the MSS I had asked about previously and I have asked about these, too. Thanks, fruitytooty