Author Topic: Southwell Workhouse records  (Read 2171 times)

Offline bigjon

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Southwell Workhouse records
« on: Friday 15 February 13 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    I know that my grandmother Martha Bennett was admitted to the workhouse 5 Nov. 1943. Was it still classed as workhouse then or hospital?
    She died there 20 Dec. 1944.
    I believe she lived at Hucknall for a short time before admittance and before that at Mansfield Woodhouse. She was born in Sedgeley, Staffordshire.
    I have been told that no burrials took place at the workhouse. I have checked cemetery records for Hucknall and Mansfield with no result. Surely some record exists somewhere of what happened to her body.
    If it was classed as a hospital by then, why would records be withheld?

any help at all please.............bigjon

Bennett, Tennant, Richards, Price.....Staffordshire
Reid, Brown, Harrison, Saunders, Coetzer........South Africa and Scotland.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Southwell Workhouse records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 February 13 11:03 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth contacting Nottinghamshire Archives to see if they can suggest anywhere.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Southwell/

Although it does seem that they do not have the later records.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Southwell Workhouse records
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 February 13 11:21 GMT (UK) »
There was a new infirmary built in 1926. I think , from memory it was renamed Greet house and no longer used as a workhouse but as accomodation for poor families and some elderly right up until the 1980's. There are a series of "flats" in the building, open to the public, where these people lived. It is a National trust property, I think the only surviving one of its kind.
I would have thought she would maybe be buried in Southwell.There are certainly no burials in the workhouse.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley