Author Topic: Reposting a 7-year-old unanswered query  (Read 4048 times)

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
Reposting a 7-year-old unanswered query
« on: Saturday 16 February 13 17:00 GMT (UK) »
HI; No-one replied at the time ( 2006) so thought I would re-post for new people.

Does anyone have connections with these families from COVINGTON AND THANKERTON. James Liverance ;daughter Lilias born circa 1645. She married Adam Murray,1669.  I have information on Murrays, Gibsons, Scoular, Dicksons and onward.  Also interested in family of Janet Cock who married Alexander Gibson 1682 in Carstairs Parish Lanark, Scotland.  Again I can go forward but would like more information on life and times.  Thank you.  D
Lanarkshire: Dow, Dickson, Duncan, Buchanan,  Maclachlan, Wallace, Mitchel, Freckleton, Dollar, Whitten(on),Liverance, Murray, Gibson, Scoular, Telfer, Fisher,Slimman
Bo'ness: Henderson, Wallace, Foot(e)
Irvine: Petrie, Millar, Jaffrey, Allen,Boyd,
Edinburgh: Huldberg, Smith, Main, primrose
Roxburgh: Main, Smith, Sutherland
Wales: Islay, Wilkes, Morris, Ponter
England: Murray ( Windsor), Ponter ( Bath),
Ireland: Whitten, Irvine, Miller, McWilliams,Tremble,Greenaway, Stevenson,Wilson

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reposting a 7-year-old unanswered query
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 February 13 18:31 GMT (UK) »
If no one replied to the earlier topic it may just be that no one has been researching those families. It shows as read 770 times so people have viewed it.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,169680.msg801995.html#msg801995
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 February 13 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps if you showed how your records were confirmed and verified back to those years it would help others to make a connection to their tree

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 December 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps if you showed how your records were confirmed and verified back to those years it would help others to make a connection to their tree

I used birth and death certificates from me  to- William Dickson and wife Elizabeth Scoular- to her parents John Scoular and Margaret Gibson-,her parents Thomas Gibson & Elizabeth Murray -to her parents Adam Murray & Isobel Smith- to his parents James Murray & Lilias Liverance- to her father James Liverance
Lanarkshire: Dow, Dickson, Duncan, Buchanan,  Maclachlan, Wallace, Mitchel, Freckleton, Dollar, Whitten(on),Liverance, Murray, Gibson, Scoular, Telfer, Fisher,Slimman
Ireland: Whitten, Irvine, Miller, McWilliams,Tremble,Greenaway, Stevenson,Wilson

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 December 13 16:36 GMT (UK) »
This is what the Registrar General of Scotland holds in old parochial records for Covington & Thankerton.

COVINGTON & THANKERTON 634.

634/1.
Baptisms 1772 – 1821. In good condition.
Marriages 1774 – 1826.
Deaths 1774 – 1822. Very good records.

634/2.
Baptisms 1821 – 1856.
Marriages 1826 – 1855.
Deaths 1820 – 1855.
Earlier series of records include baptisms for 1682 – 1762.
Also marriage and mortcloth records for the 17th century that are extremely difficult to decipher.

Like Sancti, I would be interested in knowing how you found your information regarding pre 1855 births and marriages.

As for the 1682 marriage at Carstairs, the Registrar General only has old parochial records of Banns of marriage in that parish from 1705 onwards. I wonder what evidence you found for a marriage there in 1682? Do you perhaps have a family bible?
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 December 13 17:02 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Covington_%26_Thankerton,_Lanarkshire,_Scotland

Search the Community Indexed IGI which weeds out the Contributors and yes there are early records for C&T.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 November 15 20:39 GMT (UK) »
sorry it took two years to answer- I was busy using other sites.. ScotlandsPeople has records back to 1538. i found a record for Liverance  dated 1610 ( Linlithgow)and 1667 Covington. There are  few entries for the name in the  1600s  for that town.  There are also wills of people with that name.  They are mainly church session records and contain births, deaths and marriages, as well as records for people brought before the church elders for one spiritual crime or another - like dancing, singing, or drinking on Sunday . According to one source " staring idlely out the window on Sunday was a crime .. I am well aware of gaps in records and my research is based solely of BMD records with the knowledge that people may have the same name but are no relation, which is why I post on these sites to see if anyone can clarify or correct my research.   

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 November 15 07:52 GMT (UK) »
ScotlandsPeople has records back to 1538. i found a record for Liverance  dated 1610 ( Linlithgow)and 1667 Covington. There are  few entries for the name in the  1600s  for that town.  There are also wills of people with that name.

The difficulty is that the the further back you go, the more incomplete the records are. Even in the early 1800s, you cannot make the assumption, 'This is the only person of the right name born about the right time in the right area, so (s)he has to be the one I am looking for'.

When I started out I made exactly this error. I was looking for a Margaret Davidson, born in about 1818 in Oyne (Aberdeenshire), and I spent some time tracing the wrong family before I found her death certificate and realised that it was another Margaret Davidson, born about the same time in the same parish but not in the baptism registers, who was my great-great-great-grandmother.

So unless you have definite evidence in the form of wills and sasines to prove each step back in time, I can understand why people are asking the question.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 November 15 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Not many of my ancestors- including grandparents -went in for wills. That is why I use certificates and connection made on sites such as these to help me.  It was just such a post that brought me to a group of second cousins we didn't know of because the families had lost touch two generations ago, yet continued to live and work in the same neighborhood all that time. So we were living just a stone's throw way and didn't know it.