Author Topic: Thomas Taylor from Church Knowle.  (Read 1831 times)

Offline oldhippy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Taylor from Church Knowle.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 13:01 BST (UK) »
I'm somewhat confused about this new added info. Can someone in simple terms explain what has it got to do with my Thomas Taylor.
Please scan photos at 300dpi or higher. Thank you.

Hambling. Mexter. Taylor. Bailey. Bolton. Boyse. Davenport. Fisher. Godfrey. Goff. Hawkins. Holmes. Jarvis. Joseph. Leek. Morgan. Osborne. Ross. Sharp. Webber.

Websites
http://hamblingfamily.tribalpages.com

http://taylorfamily1.tribalpages.com

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 15:45 BST (UK) »
<I'm somewhat confused about this new added info. Can someone in simple terms explain what has it got to do with my Thomas Taylor.>

Hello oldhippy.
It seems to me that Ciderdrinker has perhaps broken down your brick wall, having found a Thomas Taylor who was apprenticed in 1760 in Steeple to a John Fooks. His date of birth is given as 1743 (the date you say your Thomas was born/baptised). In 1760 he would have been about 14, the normal age for apprenticeships to begin and he was apprenticed for 10 years, till 24 (ie 1770, then you say he got married).
The apprentice Thomas was known by two surnames, Taylor (no doubt from his father), and Bridle, the surname of his unmarried mother, probably Mr Taylor's partner and the father who acknowledged the boy as his. Using two names was a fairly common occurence, and might have been noted as "alias Bridle" or "alias Taylor" in this case.
The apprentice Thomas appears to have had a younger brother Ephraim baptised 1745. This might help confirm a family connection since it is a rarer name.
You probably need to research both Taylors and Bridles, to get further back.

I think I understand from the other posts that the various villages mentioned are fairly near each other. Do remember that in the 1770s, the time of absentee vicars, parents went to the parish/village where the vicar was taking a service, not necessarily waiting to baptise a baby in their own village, and walking a few miles meant nothing.

Hope that helps.
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Offline oldhippy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 August 22 08:20 BST (UK) »
That is very interesting. No wonder I couldn’t get any further.
I have to thank Ciderdrinker first for all his hard work. All the others too who have been helping me. teragram31510 a big thank you for your help in typing it all out in a way I can understand.
The apprentice Thomas appears to have had a younger brother Ephraim. Can’t find him but what is interesting is Thomas who married Mary Griffin had a son which they called Ephraim. This I mentioned in my first post. Having a quick look last night on the Dorset site I found this. What do you think about this? I think the date fits.
Chaldon Herring
23-Jun-1731; Margaret BRIDLE wife of Henry BRIDLE of Steeple
Please scan photos at 300dpi or higher. Thank you.

Hambling. Mexter. Taylor. Bailey. Bolton. Boyse. Davenport. Fisher. Godfrey. Goff. Hawkins. Holmes. Jarvis. Joseph. Leek. Morgan. Osborne. Ross. Sharp. Webber.

Websites
http://hamblingfamily.tribalpages.com

http://taylorfamily1.tribalpages.com

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 August 22 19:30 BST (UK) »
. What do you think about this? I think the date fits.
Chaldon Herring
23-Jun-1731; Margaret BRIDLE wife of Henry BRIDLE of Steeple

I presume this is a burial of Margaret? Ciderdrinker mentioned the marriage of a Henry Bridle to Margaret Barns in 1730, so perhaps Margaret died in childbirth a year or so later. If this were the case the child could not have been Ann (I hope!) as that would only make her 13 at the birth of Thomas Taylor alias Bridle.

I do wonder if the Ephraim Taylor born 1714 at Langton Matravers could indeed be Ann's partner and the father of Thomas and his younger brother Ephraim, because of the continuation of the name (as well as reasonable dates). IF the couple followed the naming pattern frequently found in the 1700s one might assume that Ephraim's (b. 1714) father might have been a Thomas.
The Edward of Langton Matravers who married Elizabeth (mentioned by rjknott) could perhaps have been Ephraim's brother since Thomas and Mary named their daughter Elizabeth (after her aunt/godmother?) and a son Edward (after the uncle?).

oldhippy, these ideas are ALL assumptions just from looking at the other posters' research and jotting down a potential tree. I have NOT looked anything up or verified dates etc. But perhaps my ideas might guide you in your research into the actual baptismal records etc.

Good luck
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen