Author Topic: Blunt and Cartwright Family  (Read 19397 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blunt and Cartwright Family
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 24 October 15 16:19 BST (UK) »
I got all excited so I looked at a couple of the images I had for apprentices...But they were from later &  it was they who were the masters...phooey  I wish I had a sub for a help site right now so I could look as well 
:D I see you have sent me some email.... Stoking my addiction....off to look at those  :D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 24 October 15 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi J J

Just to clarify,

I'm not sure where Mary Harffy fits in to the 'tree' other than the mention she is the niece of Robert Blunt, and shouldn't be confused with the following Mary

I feel there is evidence that Mary Blunt nee Burbidge WAS Mary Reynoldes

Edward Burbidge married Mary Reynoldes 1750 by Licence, can only find a transcript of this marriage, and I cannot find the marriage licence which could have been helpful.

Edward Burbidge by his Will in 1761 left Mary two properties in the 'Mint'.

Mary Burbidge, widow married Robert Blunt ~ witnesses : John and Ann Reynolds ~ worth trying too find out who these people were. Seen the actual register,all signed ~ John and Ann as REYNOLDES

Mary Blunt was in Redcross Street, Mint ( from her burial record). 

Thomas Burbidge, Edward Burbidges brother, also had two properties that were mentioned in his Will dated 1793, in Red Cross Street, which he left to his son Thomas.

claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 24 October 15 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi  J J and Alan

The other executor of Robert Blunts Will ~ William Coleman the younger. I have to presume he is the same William that married another MARY HARFFY by licence in 1774.

This Mary was the niece and beneficiary of Petronella Harffy's Will in 1796, sister of  Dr. William Harffy

So William and Petronella had other siblings ~ maybe the Blunt connection came in here

claire

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 25 October 15 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Both of you

With everything Alan found in a prior post, I think this is a summary

George MARLOW married Mary PHIPPS by licence 18 Feb 1787 St Mary Lambeth ( marriage licence states George was a musician)

Daughter: Maria bpt. 11 April 1788 surname MARLHAM

Son: George Frederick bp. 28 Aug 1791 son of George and Mary surname transcibed MARTON
George Frederick buried 21 October 1791, abode Temple Street, St. George, surname MARLHAM, father Geo.

Maria MARHLAM buried 20 Oct. 1800 aged 13. St Mary and Abbotts Church, Kensington.
Abode: Phillimore Place

Looking for George's burial  :)

claire

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 25 October 15 22:09 GMT (UK) »
That's super, thanks so very much, Claire... for all the work you're doing on our behalf!

I wonder if it was Marlom, some "Ws" are oddly similar. How sad that she lost her husband and her children from that marriage...  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 25 October 15 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Gazetteer and New Daily Advertiser (London, England), Tuesday, February 27, 1787

On the 18th instant at the Parish Church of St Mary Lambeth. George Marlow Esq.of Cumberland Row, Kennington, Surrey,  to Miss Mary Phipps of Vauxhall

Same piece appeared in St. James's Chronicle or the British Evening Post (London, England), February 24, 1787 - February 27, 1787

claire

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 26 October 15 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Great work. We really seem to be making progress.

The Burbidge /Reynoldes connection looks more and more convincing.I agree that it would be good to fit the witnesses in.

As you say, Petronella Harffy died unmarried in Enfield in 1796. She left everything to her niece Mary Coleman , wife of William Coleman of Enfield.

I haven't worked out exactly where this Mary fits in, presumably the daughter of another of Petronella's brothers. (The tree I am looking at and don't entirely trust shows sons Thomas b 1712 and John 1716 and daughters by their father’s first marriage, to a Mary Fairhead, but doesn't have their spouses or children.)

The Marlow /Marlham connection looks increasingly coherent too, but I am left with doubts. I could read Mary's name on her marriage as Marcham or Marlham; Marlow would be a push. And Mary and her siblings were christened in the City of London. This is the first mention I have of Vauxhall. Their son was buried in Southwark, their daughter in Kennington (probably not Kensington) and Mary's abode in her 2nd marriage was Newington - too many places. It would be worth checking the litigation that JJ mentioned when we have a moment.

Finally, in odd moments I have been looking for records of the apprenticeships that launched our Blunt sons as Chemists. (Paying for apprenticeships was one of the provisions of Robert's will.) Nothing yet, but I did find a Robert, son of William Blunt, apprenticed to William Robinson, an apothecary of Postsea, now Hampshire on 2nd May 1749. So perhaps there were already relatives on the business.

I also want to find out more about brother Richard Blunt and the Thomas Blunt of Petersfield mentioned in Robert's will.

Alan

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 26 October 15 14:09 GMT (UK) »
On the Harfflys, Petronella's half-brother Thomas by her father's first wife was born in London on Christmas Eve 1712 and, on 9 March 1723 (aged 10!?) married Mary Turner.They had a daughter Mary, born Horsham 1746. In 1774 she married William Coleman in London. William was born in London in 1736. His parents were William Coleman and Mary Skinner.

All this taken from another tree and to be checked and corrected.

Can't see any obvious connection to Blunts, but William Coleman is obviously worth checking a little more.

Alan

PS. Have you noticed that almost all the women in this story are called Mary?

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 26 October 15 14:44 GMT (UK) »
William Coleman was a very wealthy Jp (junior part-time judge) in the City of London.

He and his wife Mary nee Harffy were buried in St Albans Cathedral north on London.

His will includes bequests to his wife and children and to his wife's niece sometimes referred to as Mary Harffy and sometimes Mary Elizabeth Harffy.

Unfortunately for his wife,  much of her bequest was in stock of the South Sea Company, which was a massive fraud, but he also had lots of government bonds and real estate.

Can't see any direct links to Blunts.

The trees I am looking at have his parents as Quakers. I'm not yet sure.

Alan