Author Topic: Blunt and Cartwright Family  (Read 19401 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blunt and Cartwright Family
« Reply #45 on: Monday 26 October 15 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Newington and Vauxhall do not appear to be that far away from each other, are they? I can walk that distance in a jiffy...unless my maps are deceiving me

Yes Alan the Thomas Blunt repetition was a thorn in my side. Thank goodness some were chemists and easier to locate....and yes, we have a glut of Mary right now.

The few I could find on the FHS site sorry I am not much help right now...
Thomas Blunt   Burial Dec. 18 1792   Petersfield, Hampshire, England

This was under Thomas Blunt, no surname given for Mary
Mary           Burial  Sept 21 1810  Petersfield, Hampshire
Marital Status Married   Spouse's Name Thomas Blunt

William Blunt  burial: March 8 1792
Petersfield, Hampshire, England

marriage Nov 3 1803 Petersfield, Hampshire : William Blunt  Spouse  Ann Howard 

Ann Blunt - burial: May 17 1831 Petersfield, Hampshire

William Blunt  burial: Sept. 8 1827 Petersfield, Hampshire

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 26 October 15 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Reynolds Raynolds  Reynoldes  Renalds Reyuolds Reyghnoldes   :D  Why did these people marry so often?  Was there a registration with witnesses for the marriage of Edward BURBIDGE / MARY REYNOLDES?

On a lighter note, aside....should any rellies be interested... in the work of Thomas Porter Blunt, there has been a more recent discovery of the Downes & Blunt mention in 1874 of the formation of free radicals, ( using the term radicale) over 40 years prior to Gilbert Newton Lewis receiving credit ...calling them "odd molecules".

http://www.rsc.org/images/Historical-Group-Newsletter-Winter-2014_tcm18-238295.pdf

http://members.shaw.ca/TPBLUNT/Sunlight_Free-Radicals.htm
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Allegations for marriage licences issued by the Commissary Court of Surrey between 1673-1770
was looking for some Reynolds marriages that may have been recorded the same time as Mary Burbidge/Blunt ...There was a Hannah Reynolds of Camberwell remarrying the same year but the rest further afield
https://archive.org/stream/allegationsforma00baxa2#page/n307/mode/2up/search/reynolds

So nothing to report, however,
Just thought I'd add for a backburner hunt some time in the far future...since you had interest in this family. Samuel Blunt was listed in there... who, (from an online tree) may first have been married to Sarah GALE in 1750 ( another online source has ancestors for Samuel born Feb 6 1723, the son of William Blunt and his wife Sarah nee Sheppard )

6 Aug., 1759. Samuel Blunt of Horsham, co. Sussex, abode years, Esq., widower. 30, and Winifred Scawen of Reigate, abode year, spinster, 17 ; at Reigate. With consent of Robert Scawen, Esq. of Reigate, her father. Both sign.
You probably already know their son (Rev.) William had son Francis Scawen, father of Wilfred Scawen

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Interesting news on the free radicals.

Unfortunately we only have a marriage listing for Mary Reynolds and Edward Burbidge - no licence and no register entry, so also no witnesses or other family information. (We could really do with these.) We only know that they were both from St George, Southwark, him a widower and her a spinster. Oddly, although they lived south of the Thames, they were married in Holborn, to the north of the City of London.

I have been looking for info on Mary Reynolds' birth and on the witnesses. One speculative possibility is that John and Ann Reynolds were Mary's parents. If so, she might have been christened by parents John and Ann on 23 March 1726 in Horsham, Sussex (where the Harffys came from). Probably the same parents also christened children Ann (1724), Henrietta Maria (1729), Elizabeth (1732) and Bethia (1735). I haven't yet found the parents' marriage, death or a will, or indeed anything useful to show whether this might have been the family.

Another John and Ann Reynolds had children Sarah, James and Isaac, in St Thomas's (parish next to St George the Martyr) in the 1720s. This might have made them our Mary's uncle and aunt, but still only very speculative.

Back to Marlow/Marlham/Marcham. My doubts are: 1) that as far as I know the Phipps family lived in the City of London. Mary was Christened there and her father was buried there a few years before her marriage. I think I can see tax records showing the family living there through much of that period, and probably for Mary's mother after her father's death, although I can't be sure of this. Mary's brother Jonathan Wathen Waller certainly served his apprenticeship in the City after his father's death. I have never heard mention of any connection between the family and Vauxhall, 2) that the signatures of Mary Phipps on the first marriage and Mary Marcham/Marlham look completely different, 3) that I don't recognise any of the witnesses at the early marriage, 4) that the name Marlow seems to be confirmed from various sources and is also clearly written by the clerk and in his signature on the marriage register, but the name on on the marriage to Thomas Blunt could be Marcham or Marlham, but really couldn't be Marlow (it's also clearly written twice), 4 that although the various places mentioned for the Marlow/Marcham marriage, births and deaths are all close to each other, they are all in different parishes; people tended to use their parish church, so this would imply several moves in a short space of time, 5 that there were many other Mary Phipps around at the time who might have married George Marlow.

In short, too many discrepancies and not enough confirmation for my likes.

Sorry to be negative about this.

Alan

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 04:05 GMT (UK) »
No not at all, you've obviously got a great eye and mind for all this...Neither of which have I... ;)
I did not mean to say the answer was correct, only that all things are possible...to leave all doors open....and yes, a tie-in would be nice. Perhaps it hides in some phonetic limbo somewhere.

I was wondering if John & Ann Reynoldes might be parents as well....and will post this anyway just because it is there, and it sparked me earlier on to find Mary Burbidge's husband...

Looking through the tax assessments for 1786 there is the Wiidow Blunt and Thomas Burbidge on Red Cross Street...then Next around the corner second name down on Queen street is the Widow Reynolds...

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 05:36 GMT (UK) »
That's really interesting. I wonder if we can account for all the houses left in Edward Burbidge's will.

Alan

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan, I haven't read the Burbidge will for years. It was always in my maybe file with notes.... I'd be happy to read through the will again eventually, but cannot right now, as I really have to buckle down & get some work completed.  I'd love to help out in the new year...get a sub, maybe for  different site if it has other sources, and actually work on this with you. I am so happy to have found another distant relative!

Claire... I know there are some helpers who add one thing and move on, and others who clench to the bit & delve in, so I value your input and for having stayed in the trenches.....  I really appreciate you!  Big giant hugs and a star from me!

I think I may actually have to shut off notification so as to not be tempted to look in.   J.J.

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Re the Harffys.

I was looking for an earlier death for Thomas Harffy, father of the Dr William mentioned in the will (himself father of Mary mentioned as Robert Blunt's niece.) The idea, of course, was to see whether Thomas Harffy's wife Elizabeth might have married again after the birth of William's sister Petronella in 1717 and become Robert Blunt's mother. I didn't find that, but I did find an 'index only' record on Ancestry, details as follows:

Harffy, Elizabeth
Horsham, Sussex, England
Sussex: Chichester - Calendar of Wills in the Consistory Court of the Bishop of Chichester, 1482-1800
Wills Now Preserved in the Probate Registry at Chichester.
Chapt 1482-1800.
Harffy, Elizabeth, widow, Horsham 33 12 1720

I assume this means that there is a will for (ie a death of) Elizabeth Harffy, who was herself already a widow by the time, ie that both parents died in or before 1720. On the other hand it might not be very clear and might just indicate that Elizabeth became a widow in 1720, which is what I was hoping to find.

Or perhaps, as orphans, William and Petronella Harffy were bought up by the Blunts and regarded themselves as brothers and sisters without any blood relationship.

I tried to find more details on the West Sussex Archives and National Archives web sites, but failed. However, as well as the post-nuptual agreements, some deeds and Mary Harffy's will, which we already knew they had, they have a box entitled:

Certified copies of parish registers relating to the Taylor, Longcroft and Harffy families

which looks interesting.

I may contact them to see whether they can make and send me a copy, but first I will try posting on the Sussex section here to see whether anyone already has it. I will add a link when I've written the post.

In the mean time, others' comments would be more than welcome.

Alan

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Have made a post about Blunt /Harffy here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=733329.new#new

Alan