Author Topic: Finding Susannah Ricketts  (Read 1569 times)

Offline crowsfeet

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding Susannah Ricketts
« on: Sunday 17 February 13 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Help please me in finding where my family line of Ricketts came from. What I know is that on the Census 1851 my 3 x's gt grandmother Susannah Ricketts states she is born in 1795 in Northamptonshire. Susannah married Thomas Taylor in St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey Surrey on 8 June 1813 he is also born in 1791 Hamptonshire. I can track both these people after their marriage, and some peripheral lines come out of Brackley Northamptonshire, Namely Edward Taylor who married Hannah Woods 16 Jun 1814 at St Peters in Brackley. I think that Edward Taylor may be a brother to Thomas Taylor but cannot establish the link between them. However in the 1841 census for Brackley my Thomas Taylor and young son William are visiting Edward so they do know each other.
I cannot find any links to family for Susannah Ricketts but wonder if she also comes from the same area. The marriage certificate gives no family names. I don't know where to begin my search.
cole, crow, taylor, ricketts, trustrum, pigott, kaye, bedford, blackwell, hill, archer, harris, williscroft, sanders, baggot, bayliss, isles, eaton, tooth, day, english, cherry, bashford, hubbard, leslie, cameron, whiteford keough, galvin, gray, gilchrist, davidson, currie, english, shuker, morgan, buchanan, parker, beard, pratt, orme, aylett, lawrence, penberthy, martin, bryant, nicholls.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Susannah Ricketts
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 February 13 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thomas Taylor ......he is also born in 1791 Hamptonshire

Where did you get Thomas's birthplace from?

I am wondering if there are 2 different families here?

1851 for Middlesex

Susannah Taylor    56 widow  b Northamptonshire
Hannah dtr 21 b St Faiths
William son  17 b St Faiths
HO107 Piece 1525 Folio 604 Page 23

1841 for Hackney - all born Middlesex except Susannah - no children called Hannah & William

Thomas Taylor 45
Susannah  40 (1851 shows birthplace as Suffolk)
Anna  20
William  15
Mary   15
Betsey  14
Walter  10
George   6
Richard   6
Susannah 2
HO107 Piece 699/3 Folio 11 Page 15
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline crowsfeet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 February 13 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. The top family is the one I know. I don't recognize the bottom one. I got Thomas' birthplace from the 1841 Census for Brackley HO107 Bk 3, Folio 6, Page 5, Piece No 804. where Thomas indicates he is born in the county. Thomas and his sons are meat salesmen in the newgate meat market, then latterly he is an innkeeper in Royston at the red lion and on census night 1841 Susannah and her son Joshua and daughter Hannah  are there at the red lion and Thomas and William are in Brackley visiting Edward Taylor. One of Edward Taylors grandsons is a George William Taylor who eventually inherits Joshua Taylors estate. I think that a working supposition is that Edward (Brackley) and Thomas Taylor are related.
cole, crow, taylor, ricketts, trustrum, pigott, kaye, bedford, blackwell, hill, archer, harris, williscroft, sanders, baggot, bayliss, isles, eaton, tooth, day, english, cherry, bashford, hubbard, leslie, cameron, whiteford keough, galvin, gray, gilchrist, davidson, currie, english, shuker, morgan, buchanan, parker, beard, pratt, orme, aylett, lawrence, penberthy, martin, bryant, nicholls.

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 February 13 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Welcome to Rootschat crowsfeet.  :)

On the Northants baptisms indexes.

Brackley C of E
1. 29 Mar 1787, Thomas TAYLOR s of Thomas & Hannah
2. 19-Jul 1789, John TAYLOR s of Thomas & Hannah 
3. 22-Nov 1790. Luke TAYLOR s of Thomas & Hannah
4. 12-Mar 1792, Edward TAYLOR s of Thomas & Hannah
5. 03-Jul  1793, Elisabeth TAYLOR d of Thomas & Hannah
6. 13-Jan 1795, Hannah TAYLOR d of Thomas & Hannah
7. 04-Apr 1797, William TAYLOR s of Thomas & Hannah
8. 13-Oct 1799, Michael TAYLOR s Thomas & Hannah

Sandy 
Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 February 13 10:59 GMT (UK) »
On the Northants Marriage Indexes.

Brackley C of E

21-Nov 1785
Thomas TAYLOR otp to Hannah FOSTER otp   

Sandy   
Census Crown Copyright

Offline crowsfeet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 February 13 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Big thank you Sandy. I like this information as the names of the children are used by Thomas Taylor and Susannah in the naming of their children.
I am ignorant about Northamptonshire and environs (being a descendant of emigrants from England) and this is a new county for me to research in. I have found the Record Office for Northamptonshire. Is that the only source of records in Northamptonshire? Are there museums, and or cemetery contacts?
My next question is about Susannah Ricketts born circa 1795 Northamptonshire according to her on Census night 1851. Are there any Ricketts families in and around Brackley or within close proximity of it, as I would like to find a locality she came from. Again many thanks, you have already given me much information to set about investigating. Regards crowsfeet