Author Topic: Weaving and Spinning Mills  (Read 82563 times)

Offline lonetrooper

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'clogs to clogs in three generations'
    • View Profile
Re: Weaving and Spinning Mills
« Reply #45 on: Monday 19 May 14 14:18 BST (UK) »

>Gasp out loud<

What terrible ordeals! What trials and trib's for the poor folk and what a horrid committee for promoting the emigration of women to Australia, published pamphlets and all!  No wonder then that our Thomas named his first son Job! Really.  :(

Good grief Rena, you are blowing my mind and thanks so much for all this, it is truly enlightening. As ever, I am struck by the way in which we are all so much more than ourselves.

Can’t find the potted history you mention on Flower and Salmon. Just potted salmon and a rather interesting recipe:

“Pickled caper berries with Caper berry flower buds, served with pinwheel of salmon and a warm salad of new potatoes”.

This was interesting but not necessarily the Flower of Salmon?

The visitation of Wiltshire 1565 (1897) – FLOWER of Potterne – Page 19/
https://archive.org/details/visitationofwilt00harvrich

CANTY - Ireland - London
LANCHBURY - Oxfordshire - London
LUCKHARDT - Germany - London

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 19 May 14 14:55 BST (UK) »
I wonder why those old family tree books don't show dates.   They say we're all descended from Kings - the hardest part is trying to find a "hook" to an historic family so that we could more easily trace our heritage lol.   For instance, I've got a "Dodson" surname in my tree, so all I have to do is find the link to the original Dod(da) and I'm back to the Domesday Book  ;D

Today I was invited to visit a website depicting some 19th century travelling musician families. - it mentioned 1845.  Especially relevant to our conversation was that the German villagers who relied on weaving local wool fell on hard times circa 1845 due to British woven woollen cloth flooding their market, with the result that they then had to rely on what used to be a hobby and take to the roads with their instruments to make a living as wandering musicians.    My avatar is my grandmother who was the daughter of a wandering musician, who had taken to the road with an uncle when he was SIX years old.   

Another of my branches in that era was also a casualty of the wool trade in that they were Scottish Highlanders.  It came about in the very early 19th century when the Scottish owners  of large tracts of Scottish highlands (who incidentally lived in England) decided there was more profit in sheep than in having small tenant farmers on their estates, with the result that millions of people were cleared off their ancestral lands and their homes burnt down. 

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline lonetrooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 19 May 14 16:19 BST (UK) »
love your avatar. For me, portraits are the icing on the cake. Too few in our lines alas but this is a great place to get the contextual portrait. We all seem to be so much at the mercy of the fates and the laws of cause and effect. It all seems such a path of snakes and ladders. I do wish I had known all this years ago.

Again, thanks so much for adding depth to one of my lines.  :)
CANTY - Ireland - London

Offline lonetrooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 19 May 14 21:11 BST (UK) »
TV Tonight - on More 4 - channel 14 - 9 - 10pm
Monty Don's Real Craft - Weaving.
[/size]
CANTY - Ireland - London

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 19 May 14 23:58 BST (UK) »
[/size]

I thought of you when I watched the programme tonight.  Also what a coincidence that you should raise the subject when you did!
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline lonetrooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
[/size]

what a coincidence!

;D That is exactly what I was thinking! 

It’s that strange synchronous phenomenon again.  :o Excellent wasn’t it and I just loved that man bag. I think they got the winners right each time. Here is the link to watch again - http://www.channel4.com/programmes/monty-dons-real-craft

And another on textiles -

The Story of Women in Art – Prof. Amanda Vickery – Episode 2 – 18th Century -  At 32 minutes - textiles

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01y5sgp

Only 3 days left to watch this on BBCiplayer. For some reason there is a problem with the sound. I don’t think it is my computer and if not, then there is another chance to see this episode on BBC2 at 11.25pm – not sure when but if it's weekly then it will be next Monday 26 May.

CANTY - Ireland - London

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 10:34 BST (UK) »

>Gasp out loud<

What terrible ordeals! What trials and trib's for the poor folk and what a horrid committee for promoting the emigration of women to Australia, published pamphlets and all!  No wonder then that our Thomas named his first son Job! Really.  :(

Good grief Rena, you are blowing my mind and thanks so much for all this, it is truly enlightening. As ever, I am struck by the way in which we are all so much more than ourselves.

Can’t find the potted history you mention on Flower and Salmon. Just potted salmon and a rather interesting recipe:

“Pickled caper berries with Caper berry flower buds, served with pinwheel of salmon and a warm salad of new potatoes”.

This was interesting but not necessarily the Flower of Salmon?

The visitation of Wiltshire 1565 (1897) – FLOWER of Potterne – Page 19/
https://archive.org/details/visitationofwilt00harvrich

You could argue that the ones who emigrated through assisted schemes had a lucky escape.

I think it is important to make the distinction between the old domestic system and the factory (mills) system. By the the late 1700s weaving and spinning was becoming mechanised. There was opposition to the new machinery and mills , most notably The Luddites. At Peterloo (1819) most of those attending were mill labourers. In 1842 there was a strike across the manufacturing districts aka the Plug Riots. Chartists too were connected to the industry and districts. During the industrial revolution textile manufacture became increasingly unskilled and wages were driven down. At first the mills were powered by water but in the early 1800s steam power was being introduced.  Steam was coal powered and so mill towns and cities grew in areas were coal was available (coal mines also employed children) or easy to transport to. Lancashire , the West Riding of Yorkshire, Chesire, Nottinghamshire , parts of Scotland and so on. The famous chimneys and "dark satanic mills" and slums.
Some of these mills were huge . Listers (West Riding) for example
"At its height, Lister's employed 11,000 men, women and children -Floor space in the mill amounts to 27 acres (109,000 m˛) Every week the boilers consumed 1,000 tons of coal brought in on company rail wagons from the company collieries near Pontefract. Water was also vital in the process and the company had its own supply network including a large covered reservoir on-site "

For a large part of the 19th century  the hours adults and children worked were unregulated. A child could start work at age 5 or 6 years old and work a 16 or even 18 hour day 6 days a week. Parents had little choice in sending their children to work. It was either work or starve. The constant action of the machinery could cripple a labourer by the age of 21. The average age of death for a mill labourer in Leeds in the 1830s was 19
There were campaigns to regulate the hours children worked . The Ten Hours Committee for example. Richard Oastler was probably the most famous . If you look up "Oastler Yorkshire Slaves" or "Oastler 1832"  or his speeches there is contempory documentation online. Another campaigner was Joseph Rayner Stephens . Even after legislation came in it took decades for it to be implemented .

By the early in the 1900s many children still worked but "half - time"
This is a description by William Holt from Yorkshire who was born 1897.
"When I was twelve I began half-time at the mill. One week I had to work mornings starting at six o'clock; and then on alternate weeks I worked afternoons. Like the other half timers , I felt sleepy when I went to school in the afternoon. The teachers put all the half timers on the back row and if we fell asleep they didn't wake us. I didn't learn much at school. I went full time to the mill when I was thirteen."

Oastler 1832
http://www.historyhome.co.uk/peel/factmine/oastler.htm

Joseph Rayner Stephens
(Warning contains graphic description)
http://spartacus-educational.com/IRstephens.htm

Offline lonetrooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 25 May 14 20:24 BST (UK) »
Dear SallyYorks,

yet another amazing post, thank you so much. You and Rena have moved me hugely.

I take it from this that things were not quite so bad in Trowbridge but you have helped me to really FEEL the history and I am very grateful. I am embarrassed to admit I knew nothing of this and had a 'Larkrise to candleford' fantasy about  my ancestors spinning and weaving happily in pretty country cottages with chickens all about their feet and lambs skipping happily in the fields. Therefore, although truly awful.... I am so glad to know all this.

And did those feet in ancient times – William Blake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

Jerusalem - Last Night of the Proms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8VH0sbEU20

I have to confess that I always stand for this but it will be personal from now on and I don't know how on earth I will be able to get through singing it for tears.

Bless you Rena and Sally, beautiful post.
xx
CANTY - Ireland - London

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 12:00 BST (UK) »
Dear SallyYorks,

yet another amazing post, thank you so much. You and Rena have moved me hugely.

I take it from this that things were not quite so bad in Trowbridge but you have helped me to really FEEL the history and I am very grateful. I am embarrassed to admit I knew nothing of this and had a 'Larkrise to candleford' fantasy about  my ancestors spinning and weaving happily in pretty country cottages with chickens all about their feet and lambs skipping happily in the fields. Therefore, although truly awful.... I am so glad to know all this.

And did those feet in ancient times – William Blake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

Jerusalem - Last Night of the Proms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8VH0sbEU20

I have to confess that I always stand for this but it will be personal from now on and I don't know how on earth I will be able to get through singing it for tears.

Bless you Rena and Sally, beautiful post.
xx

Oh lonetrooper what a lovely post . I will think of it too now . Bless you too

Trowbridge wasn't without its problems. Three weavers were hanged for leading a mill riot there in 1738 . Then later the Swing Riots across the same county

I hope my links wasnt too much but it wasnt all bad and there were some who tried to help and not all the mill owners were unconcerned about their labourers. John Fielden MP and mill owner was a reformer too for example

You might like this * ( at end of my post)
 Richard Oastler became a radical when he visited a friend in Bradford who was a mill owner . Up until then Oastler had led quite a sheltered life and was unaware of the conditions. John Wood showed him the conditions and they spent all night discussing what to do. Others joined Oastler and there is a little book available on the Calderdale library website by a follower of Oastler called George Crabtree . He wrote a little book " Brief Description of a Tour through Calder Dale" . It is available to read on the library website fromweavertoweb (search Oastler) . It is well worth reading ,especially the part where the local preacher uses very strong language to describe how upset and angry  he is at having to bury child mill labourers who have died of exhaustion. There is also a good biography about Oastler available to read online. It describes the WR district and some of the big meetings

This always makes me feel a little emotional
Richard Oastler describing a meeting with John Wood, a factory owner from Bradford, in September 1830.
"John Wood turned towards me, reaching out his hand and in the most impressive manner pressed my hand in his said: "I have had no sleep tonight. I have been reading the Bible and in every page I have read my own condemnation. I cannot allow you to leave me without a pledge that you will use all your influence in trying to remove from our factory system the cruelties which are practised in our mills." I promised I would do what I could. I felt that we were each of us in the presence of the Highest and I knew that that vow was recorded in Heaven."