Author Topic: Windgates confusion.  (Read 4275 times)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Windgates confusion.
« on: Monday 18 February 13 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am trying to trace a Thomas White born 1867 in Wicklow or Dublin. Using the IFHF database I have found a possible person but the place name is confusing the issue.
On the records from IFHF it states that his address is Windgates in Arklow parish. However, I thought that Windgates is further north near Bray? Anybody able to help me clear this one up?

Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Windgates confusion.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 February 13 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Windgate townland is in Delgany civil parish so quite a bit north of Arklow - c40km.

Maybe the Windgates referred to in Arklow is a house or estate ?

What is the father's name on the record ?
(he may appear on Griffth's)

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 February 13 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

The fathers name is also Thomas White, I have had a quick flick through Griffith's valuation on Ancestry but cannot see any obvious candidates.

Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 February 13 18:22 GMT (UK) »
there's a free version of Griffith's with images of the valuation and maps at :

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

Do you know the father's occupation, e.g. from Thomas jnr's marriage ?
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 05:57 GMT (UK) »

Does it say the address is Windgates, Arklow, or the address is Windgates and the (baptism) parish is separately described as Arklow?  There is also a Windgates west of Dublin in Taghadoe parish Kildare, but this is some distance from Arklow as well...

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Shane.  I am in Ireland this week so will post or pop down to Roscommon if they can do it that way. Getting ahead of myself slightly.

Gaffy, the address is Windgates and the Parish is Arklow.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Dont think they can deal with callers in Roscommon. That's the head office and for orders by post only. The research room is in Dublin - Lwr. Abbey Street.

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Yep realised that just before you posted. Will pop down and see anyway, if not I will just drop the form through their door.

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 February 13 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Visited the GRO in Roscommon, the good news is that they do have a public counter and I was able to obtain the marriage cert. Bad news is that it makes Thomas a little older than I thought born about 1864. Likely baptisms include one in Bray and one in Ballybrack. Both are close to the border.
Regards
Sean