Author Topic: Help tracing my great grandparents from Staffordshire to Yorkshire to Cardiff  (Read 804 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi, a long shot I know but I'm trying to find out about the journey of my great-grandparents and family, and wonder if anyone can suggest where I can look.

My great-grandparents were born in Hanley, Staffordshire (1858) & Burslem, Staffordshire (1860), and married in Hanley in 1881. The first two children were born in Smallthorn, Staffordshire in 1882 and 1885, the third in Market Weighton, East Riding of Yorkshire, in 1888 and the youngest in Cardiff in 1892.

According to the 1881 census my great grandfather was a baker in Gorton, Lancs, yet by his wedding on 25 April 1881 he was a baker from Richmond Grove, Longsight, Manchester, with my great grandmother a servant living in Shelton, Staffordshire. In 1891 (now in Cardiff) he was a confectioner's traveller, and in 1901 and 1911 (both in Cardiff) he was a school caretaker.

All my mum knows is that he was a master baker working in a monastery (possibly in Yorkshire, she was surprised to learn of the Staffordshire connection) but he lost his job when a monk arrived to take over his duties.

Any suggestions re poll books, monasteries etc most welcome.

Thanks,

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help tracing my great grandparents from Staffordshire to Yorkshire to Cardiff
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 February 13 23:25 GMT (UK) »
and their names were???????

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help tracing my great grandparents from Staffordshire to Yorkshire to Cardiff
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 February 13 23:38 GMT (UK) »
and their names were???????

Suz

Sorry Suz, I hadn't gone into detail of names as I was only hoping for ideas of where to look...

But they were: Thomas Augustine Cope (1858-1927) and Elizabeth (nee Hackney, 1860-1943), children Percy (1882-1970), Winifred Mary (1885-1970), Alban Leo (1888-1915), and Dorothy Agnes (1892-1965).

Thanks,

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Tittensor ONS

• RootsChat Member
  • Tittensor One-Name Study site: www.tittensor.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deidre, the 1881 census was taken on 3rd April, and Gorton and Richmond Grove are only 1.6 miles apart so I guess that it is just a house move around the time he got married.

Have you look in trade directories?  There are some on line here:

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/

Regards,

Paul

Tittensor One-Name Study homepage: www.tittensor.com
Tittensor One-Name Study: www.tittensor.com
Researching surnames:
Tittensor  -  Titensor  -  Tittenson - Titterson
Titson - Titsor - Titser - Tidson - Tidsor - Tidser

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link Paul, just had a quick look but will have a better look tonight.

I think I was surprised at the address change between the 1881 census and the wedding as I assumed he then moved back to Staffordshire as Percy was born there in April 1882. 

Deirdre