Author Topic: Bitton & Oldland  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Hystericalwriter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bitton & Oldland
« on: Tuesday 19 February 13 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have been looking at the Jarrett family from this area and have become stuck at a William JARRETT (or variation), 70  who in the 1841 census for Bitton, is with Ann 60, Hannah 20, Caroline 15, and William 10.

I think William & Ann are husband & wife as I think I have baptisms of Dinah 6 Dec 1818, Ann, Elizabeth, Martha & Caroline bp 15 Jun 1823 (Caroline as the child of Dinah) and Hannah on 26 Sep 1824 at Oldland............all this is from either the IGI or BAFHS indexes

What I don't seem to understand is where are the marriages for Oldland? I see that there was a chapel of ease at Oldland, so are the registers c 1820 Bitton and not Oldland......

Anne
OWEN(s): Llangurig, MGY; JOHN: Treherbert GLA; LEWIS: Margam GLA; BOON: Brixham, DEV
VITTERY:Brixham, DEV; FRANCE: Brixham, DEV
GLOVER: Parkham, DEV ;BOIT: Wellington, SOM
YOUNG: Castle Combe, WIL; LIVINGSTONE: Limavady NI; CAMPBELL: Ballykelly, Derry

Offline jmj9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bitton & Oldland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 June 22 13:51 BST (UK) »
Bitton parish covered a large area, including some of Kingswood originally. Hanham was the other main parish. Records under Bitton until  Oldland St. Anne’s and Kingswood Holy Trinity conducted baptisms. I run a Facebook group for this area covering old photos, history and genealogy etc. jmj9

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 June 22 14:31 BST (UK) »
Bitton parish covered a large area, including some of Kingswood originally. Hanham was the other main parish. Records under Bitton until  Oldland St. Anne’s and Kingswood Holy Trinity conducted baptisms. I run a Facebook group for this area covering old photos, history and genealogy etc. jmj9

Just sent a membership request, as I have a good few ancestors from and living I Bitton, Kingswood and Oldland.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 June 22 07:49 BST (UK) »
Many years ago, I researched my husband's maternal side (OSBORNE) from Bitton, who was the local Blacksmith early 19th century.

Website

Bitton families

http://www.bittonfamilies.com

is a useful site.

On the front page, is

'Search the Bitton familes

and there are 6 hits for Jarrett

Bitton Poor Rate 1836

etc etc

also one witness at a wedding listed GARRETT

----

The marriage I was looking for was found in Bristol. (Only 6 miles away)  I'll have to look at my files, as  before the Internet, I used a Researcher, who said lots of local people married in Bristol as they went there to work.

I do have JARRETT in my tree, my x Grandmother was from Monmouth - and when married settled in Blakeney, across the Severn. 

I will look at the Facebook page mentioned.  Thanks.

Offline jmj9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 June 22 14:43 BST (UK) »
Jarrett is a surname I associate with local nursery/garden centre in Oldland/Bitton and also an abattoir in Oldland. Parish boundaries got reassigned in 1889 I think….mentioned in local press.