Author Topic: Grahams of Kilkeel  (Read 33270 times)

Offline LodgeLady2011

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grahams of Kilkeel
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 01:36 BST (UK) »
Do you know what Margaret Trimble's parents' names were? 

My grandfather's name was John Edgar Trimble, and he lived in Aliquippa, PA, where I was born.  His father's name was also John Edgar Trimble, who was the son of Robert Trimble who came to the US when he was six months old with his father James Trimble (wife Margaret Elizabeth Graham) in 1846 from Enniskillen, Fermanaugh County, Ireland. 
Trimble (Enniskillen, Fermanagh County), Carpenter (Dublin)

Offline crosshands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 03 May 14 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi LadyLodge.  I assume your comments come from iconone's post page 2 re Duncan Graham/ Margaret Trimble?  I don't have a Margaret Elizabeth Graham in my records although 1846 is obviously early and my tree doesn't go that far back with accuracy.  Graham seems a pretty common name in Ireland but it is possible they are all tied in somehow.

Offline dermotb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 11 January 15 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Can I join in?

My grandmother was Elizabeth (Bessie) Scott Graham, b 20/3/1881, whose parents had a shoe store in Kilkeel, where she was working, when met my grandfather, and married him in 1901. The 1901 census has her as presbyterian.

I don't have more details, but from all the circumstances, names and dates, I'm guessing she was the daughter of John Graham and Margaret Scott.

If any of you can share any further info or pictures outside of what is on this thread, I would be extremely grateful, because until now, her past has been a total blank.

Naturally, I'd also like to catch up with anyone who is related to me, of course.

Offline dermotb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 11 January 15 06:16 GMT (UK) »
Deleted

Offline dermotb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 11 January 15 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Also for those who are interested

The 1911 census (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/feedback/1911/Down/Kilkeel/Greencastle_Street/245444/) shows 8 of the 10 children, but not my grandmother Bessie, who was married and living elsewhere. However, it interestingly lists her eldest child, Walter J Balson. So if you wondered who that was, now you know :)

Another thing that may be of interest. I noticed a reference to the "brethren" in one of the comments. Bessie married a Plymouth Brethren member...

Finally, I haven't seen this reported here, which purports to be about son William in WW1
https://aughnahoorylol343b.wordpress.com/2014/08/24/private-willie-graham/

It seems the 1911 census misreported his age as 8, instead of 18, as you can see if you look at the handwritten form further down the page.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Kilkeel/Greencastle_Street/245444/

Offline crosshands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 11 January 15 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Welcome aboard - more the merrier.  One day we might be able to build the whole family!  Have sent you a personal message (not the empty one -sorry) and hope the others will also say hello.

Offline dermotb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 11 January 15 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Bessie had 10 children, including TWO sets of twins. Several of the children died young (there was a family story about their dad taking one pair out in the cold when they were very young, and they both died). My father was the youngest, and a twin (the other one died). Several of the sons moved to East Africa to try their luck, and stayed there.

Unfortunately, only two of all those children were left, by 1945, due to various misfortunes. I can provide more detail for anyone who is interested.

I've attached a photo of GreenCastle street.

Offline dermotb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 12 January 15 06:55 GMT (UK) »
For those who haven't seen this, there is a list of who was living where at the 1901 census. The Grahams seem to be living in at least 3 houses
#4 = the main family
#28 = some other Grahams - unconnected?
#44 = Thomas, uncle of John Graham in #4
#57 = Bessie (my grandmother)

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/down/census/greencastle-st.txt

The 1901 and 1911 census pages also have original copies of the handwritten forms, if you page down, and there are clear errors in the typed transcriptions if you look carefully
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Kilkeel/Greencastle_St__Kilkeel/1236119/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Kilkeel/Greencastle_Street/245444/

Errors in 1911:
William is reported at 8 instead of 18
Isabella E is reported as Isabella G
Ellen J is reported as 6 instead of 16 in 1911

Offline dermotb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 01 February 15 05:59 GMT (UK) »
I've done some searching on historical newspapers, and found this interesting snippet from the Nenagh Guardian of 17 September 1851, which appears to support the Claverhouse connection.