Author Topic: St Mary Abbott's, Kensington burials/ deaths 1830s-40s  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Mary Abbott's, Kensington burials/ deaths 1830s-40s
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 March 23 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know the meaning of the abbreviations used under the column "Quality" in the burial registers? They seem to be "AP," "NP," "or poor"-the last is obvious but the others? AP can't mean apprentice because it's applied to folk aged 1 and 77!

Can you please give an example, with name, date and parish?

Or post an image, or (if it's online) a link?

The standard format for burial registers doesn't normally have a column headed 'Quality', so your query is puzzling.

Offline g3offs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 March 23 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks-attached here. It's for 1834 at St Mary Abbots New Ground, and you'll see the headings for "Quality" and "Bearers." On the second page, not attached are simply details of the plot depth and grid reference.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 March 23 11:29 GMT (UK) »
The 9th entry, Betty Lovel, has a Hammersmith address and NP in the quality common, which may mean non-parish as it isn't Kensington but just a guess.

Maybe contact Kensington Archives and see if they have more knowledge.

https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/libraries-0/libraries-and-room-hire/local-studies-and-archives
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline g3offs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 March 23 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks-you may be onto something. Looking at adjacent pages it does seem a possible explanation for "NP." I'll contact the Kensington Archives and post here if I receive an explanation.

Offline g3offs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 March 23 18:48 BST (UK) »
Here's the reply from RBKC Archives. I'm afraid it doesn't answer the question. Maybe though the abbreviation does somehow suggest who might be picking up the bill?

"We don’t really know what the abbreviations mean, aside from the obvious, as you say. I found an interesting paragraph in one of our genealogical books which applies to the ‘poor’ status:

“Burial entries may be accompanied by the word poor or the letter P. This indicates that the deceased was a pauper, and that the funeral was paid for by the parish, in which case other parish records may indicate poor relief being granted to the person during their lifetime. A marginal note such as aff. or A refers to an affidavit being sworn that wool was used for the burial shroud.”

The term ‘quality’ was sometimes  listed together with trade or profession. I don’t know if that has any bearing on what AP, or NP means, considering there are also children on that list. The frustrating thing is that it’s usually something very simple, but these 18th/19th century terms are not always obvious."!