Author Topic: AYRSHIRES ROYAL SCOTS FUSILIERS  (Read 2048 times)

Offline BOYTEN

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
AYRSHIRES ROYAL SCOTS FUSILIERS
« on: Thursday 21 February 13 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am a femail and have no idea how the armed forces work and am researching James * who was in the Royal scots fusiliers and married who i think is a Germany lady while serving in Germany in 1947 -they were married in Gelsenkirchen and i was wondering if anyone could tell me how this would go about- is there a special place where they would marry being in the forces? etc sorry i am a bit ignorant of how this happens and would love any info. James was born in 1924 in Scotland. Thank you
davey wood

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: AYRSHIRES ROYAL SCOTS FUSILIERS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 February 13 09:52 GMT (UK) »
I think it quite likely he would have had to have the permission of the Commanding Officer of his regiment before he could marry his fraulein. Gelsenkirchen was an industrial town and as such was targeted by USAAF and RAF.
If there wasn't possible to marry in a church it is possible the Battalion padre could have carried out a wedding.

James

Offline BOYTEN

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 February 13 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that. Is there any way of finding out any more about him?
davey wood

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 February 13 13:58 GMT (UK) »

Offline BOYTEN

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 February 13 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you but my problem is that i have no details about him to submit to them- the only thing i have is his year of birth and place- and his marriage year and quarter. This is my friends grandfather who was adopted so he has no info in his grandparents at all. Thanks
davey wood

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 February 13 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Do you have his marriage certificate? it may contain Regimental number,

So you have his Regiment, his date of birth and his name and he served  in ww2 or just after,
why not try to submit that info and see what transpres.

Are there any photos of him? they may contain info.
Did he qualify for any ww2 medals? It may be beneficial if you ask your friend to search family documents, letters from Germany and family photos, letters home from military areas usually contain the senders rank and number.

Good Luck

James

Offline BOYTEN

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 February 13 18:51 GMT (UK) »
I only know he was a sargent(well i think thats what it says) and churchill barracks. I have sent for the marriage cert but will take two weeks. My friend is adopted and hasnt any info on his real parents so this is a bit touchy subject- he doesnt want contact with the real family- but just wants the family history so obviously has no pictures or any info on his real parents.
davey wood

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 February 13 19:14 GMT (UK) »
If your friend doesn't want to upset family and make contact then I'm not sure it's wise posting such queries here as Rootschat posts are quickly picked up by search engines such as Google. Also, Rootschat does have a 'no living persons' policy (which includes not posting details of anyone who might still be living) and it is possible that these people could still be alive.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joemacd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 February 13 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am a femail and have no idea how the armed forces work and am researching JAMES HICKSON who was in the Royal Scots fusiliers and married who i think is a Germany lady while serving in Germany in 1947 -they were married in Gelsenkirchen and i was wondering if anyone could tell me how this would go about- is there a special place where they would marry being in the forces? etc sorry i am a bit ignorant of how this happens and would love any info. James was born in 1924 in Scotland. Thank you
Try  518 Sauchiehall Street this is the Royal Highland fusilier HQ, and post on the R S F forum.
Family names, MacDonald on my Grandfathers side, McDonald on my Grandmother's side, on my Mothers side her Maiden Name Janet Donald Maxwell, Maxwell, Weir, Scanlon, Donald, Ritchie, Smith, Sharp.