Author Topic: Robson Walton  (Read 2695 times)

Offline The Putter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Walton/Bamford/Thornton/Bell/Henderson
    • View Profile
Robson Walton
« on: Thursday 21 February 13 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for the parentage of my 3 x Great Grandfather Robson Walton [Circa 1810 - March 5th 1870]
He married Mary Morpeth [1810 - 14/03/1891] in Allendale Feb 4th 1830.
Census returns state he was born in Newcastle. Neither IGI's or other databases of baptisms for Northumberland or Durham shed any light on his origins.
Allendale parish registers record of his marriage only confirm he was 'of this Parish' at the time of his wedding.
Robson has been described on census returns as, variously, a tailor/butcher/coal miner. The latter being his occupation when he died in a fall of stone when a 'Rolleywayman' in Cramlington Colliery.
I have often wondered if in fact Robson was NOT born in Newcastle but in rural parts, Allendale for example. At that time there was a strong movement of population away from rural parts of the N.E. and into the urbanised districts, particularly those along the lower Tyne and especially the city of Newcastle.
I am well aware of the dangers of guesswork but, having said that !
Garagill Baptisms 1730-1812.
Robert Walton [Feb 7th 1807]
Son of Henry Walton and Mary nee Robson.
Alston marriages show that Henry and Mary married on June 5th 1806 which suggests 'Robert' is their first child, indeed he must have been concieved on the wedding night !
I wonder if 'Robert' is indeed 'Robson', it being common practice for a first son to take his mothers surname as his christian name.
Could 'Robert' be a transcription error for 'Robson' ? I have only had sight of the typed transcriptions which have been extensively amended by manuscript entry subsequently. [The Garagill register shows that between 1701 - 1837 there are in excess of 3,700 Walton/Robson marriages.
One other of interest is in Stanhope. March 21st 1807 John Walton married Elizabeth Robson.
Over they ears I have been in contact with a few of old Robson's grandchildren and some have made 'educated guesses' as to his parentage based on naming of subsequent children etc etc.
To misquote Joe Friday in Dragnet....'Nothing but the facts maam'
I would welcome any [and I mean any] suggestions which could hopefully help me down this 'brick wall'.
Jack

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robson Walton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 February 13 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a list of which Newcastle churches you have checked, and whether they were the original records, transcripts or copies such as the bishops and archbishops transcripts
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline AlisdairGB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 February 13 14:55 GMT (UK) »
For completeness, have you seen his entry at Durham Mining Museum's site ( Don't be confused, it covers Northumberland as well)

http://www.dmm.org.uk/individ0/i03900.htm
Daniel: Scarborough
Malyon: Essex, London
Bell: Northumberland
Gibbs: Northumberland, Co Durham, North Yorks
Appleyard: Bridlington, Scarborough
Barton: Nottingham, Sheffield
Bunn, Sanderson, Gray, Hindmarsh, Tron , Tait and others - wife's family , Durham and Northumberland

Offline The Putter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Walton/Bamford/Thornton/Bell/Henderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 February 13 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have all the details about his accidental death, including information from that website.

Thanks.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 February 13 18:59 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a little browse through the bishops transcripts for Alston with  Gargill

Feb 1807
Robson illigit son of Mary Dowson
of Nenthead baptised

I did not see the baptism you have
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 February 13 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Mary Dowson marries a Leonard Thompson,
14th November 1812
Alston with Gargill,

1841 census,
West Nenthead
HO107/171/9
Mary Watson aged 40,supported by son,not born in county
Mary Watson aged 18,born in county
Robinson Watson,aged 16,born in county,lead miner
Jane daughter aged 13,born in county
so ages well out for yours
next door to
Leonard Thompson,aged 35 years a lead miner
who is possibly the son of Leonard Thompson,married 1827
Elizabeth Thompson,aged 30 wife
Thomas,12.washer in lead ore
Jonathon,11
Joseph,8
John,5
Woodmap,2,possibly names after Jonathon Woodmass,the witness at his parents marriage
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 February 13 22:12 GMT (UK) »
And yes I do waffle on Jack,
but as you have been looking for clues for fourteen years, a bit more wont harm,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 February 13 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Using the 1841 census
Alston,freereg,

Jane Watson aged 14
possibly Jane Thompson
daughter of Leonard Thompson and Mary
abode Wellgill
baptised 30th June 1826

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hoping to wake this one up again Jack

Going back to basics and Robson's assertion that he was born in Newcastle - you never did answer davidft's question in reply no. 1.

Which churches in Newcastle have you checked for his baptism?

Christine