Author Topic: A Runcorn War Memorial  (Read 1388 times)

Offline tex t

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Runcorn War Memorial
« on: Thursday 21 February 13 16:24 GMT (UK) »
If anyone reading this has an interest in the history of Runcorn please read the post from "promenade" contained in the following link.  He is replying to a post about another war memorial, but in his post states that he had obtained a Runcorn war memorial in 2006 which he tried to donate for free to any interested party, but was unsuccessful.

Surely this memorial he is willing to provide for free should be displayed somewhere in Runcorn?
What about the town hall or one of the libraries?
Is the British Legion in Runcorn interested?

http://www.forum.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12630

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A Runcorn War Memorial
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 February 13 16:47 GMT (UK) »
 :(Displaying my ignorance.  How can a war memorial fall into private hands?  Surely they belong to the community.Surely the community collected money for one to be erected?   I am not sure whether my family lost members in the two Wars but they would have contributed being Runcorn men and womern.
Do the selolers have no respect for our War dead. Sandra

Offline tex t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 February 13 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Sandra, thanks for replying.

I know no more than you regarding the original location of this war memorial, perhaps it came from a school, a church or some demolished building and commemorates those associated with that establishment.  If “promenade” reads this he may be able to clarify the details.

I don’t know if you have had a chance yet to read “promenade”s post, but it is clear that, at his own expense, he obtained the memorial to ensure that it could be returned, at no cost, to the community from which it came.

You obviously feel strongly, as I do, that these memorials should not be in private hands.  Therefore perhaps you could try to get your relatives, or others, in Runcorn interested in returning this memorial to Runcorn?

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 February 13 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Sadly, descendants are not in Runcorn.   ::) America, New Zealand, South Africa. My branch
female descendants are alive in 3rd  generation and a few males descended from the females. Name therefore not carried on.
See Wapentake, Moretons./Morton!'/ Griffiths/Dodd.
So these memorials could have come from demolished buildings.....it makes me cross!

Sandra.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 February 13 10:46 GMT (UK) »
There have been discussions about such memorials on the Great War Forum which has very knowledgeable and motivated contributors.  Might be worth giving this an airing there:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)