Author Topic: Help finding william doherty londonderry  (Read 7706 times)

Offline cathyaitken

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding william doherty londonderry
« on: Thursday 21 February 13 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi new to posting. looking for any help or advice to find  any information however little for my grt grandfather William doherty from londonderry.
What I do know is that he married Catherine coyle 1856 at templemore.They lived at the bogside when my gf was born. They had  3 children I know of william 1866?, george 1870? and dominic (daniel) my grandfather 1877.
I was told by my dad they lived later years at the diamond? I have tried in vain to find them on any cencus records, births record  and parent details for william and catherine or death records/burials .. Or any other children they may have had.
I cant find nothing at all on the family.
Maybe they moved away from the area?. according to my gf,s marraige both parents were still alive in 1917.
 Most details came from my father who is sadly now deceased.
My gf daniel (died in glasgow 1951)  married 1st marianne kildea and came to glasgow around 1910-11 had 2 daughters catherine 1900 &  margaret 1902 both born in ireland in ireland. Half sisters of my father whom he never met & dont know anything of margaret in fact i found tis out after my father died & he never mentioned her to me. marianne died 1914 he married my grandmother rosanne murphy 1917. The only  cencus record found has been 1901 for my gf at brandywell rd with wife and 1 daughter the 1911 in glasgow with 2 daughters.
any help greatly appriecated.
thank you cathy
DOHERTY.AITKEN,FLEMING,DEVLIN,BOYD,MURPHY,BURNS,BRADFORD,RANKIN,..IRELAND, SCOTLAND

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding william doherty londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 February 13 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Doherty (and its varients) is probably the most common Derry surname but hopefully we will be able to find a bit of information for you.

Civil registration of births started 1864 so any children og William Doherty & Catherine Coyle before that date will not have birth certificates and you will need to search for a baptism in church records.
William (1867) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F555-QGX
George (1870) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FG8F-1YK
Joseph (1872) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGPG-Y4N
Dominick (1877) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGL3-Z8H
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 February 13 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Dominick with wife and daughter Maggie in 1901- Maggie born c1899 not 1902 and no sign of Catherine:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/No__2_Urban__South_Ward/Brandywell_Road/1535942

A George Doherty the right age- but no way to be sure:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/No__4_Urban__West_Ward/Tahan_Street/1537002/

Offline cathyaitken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 February 13 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi thank you very much  for that will try my best to check that out.
I have looked on that sight many times and never came across joseph!!.
A bit of information I didnt know another brother of my gf, 
I will certainley keep searching for answers.
many thanks cathy
DOHERTY.AITKEN,FLEMING,DEVLIN,BOYD,MURPHY,BURNS,BRADFORD,RANKIN,..IRELAND, SCOTLAND

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 February 13 19:44 GMT (UK) »

William Doherty married Catherine Coyle at Long Tower (St Columb) Roman Catholic Church in 1856. Patrick was another child born 1862, no doubt there may be one or two more.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 February 13 19:46 GMT (UK) »
You could try different spellings of Doherty for Joseph but it's possible he died or left Derry before 1901 census.

Offline cathyaitken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 February 13 20:14 GMT (UK) »
 Hi my mistake  for daughters , got them in  wrong order. maggie 1st then catherine 1902, I dont know if when their mother died in 1914 they possibly returned to ireland as they never did stay with my fathers family a bit of a mystery really which im keen to look up, fantastic find for joseph 1872 and patrick 1862,  it could possibly be george on cencus too.
oops i got wrong place for marraige too.. maybe were im going wrong with a wrong surname spelling.
  many thanks anyone who looked up any information for my post  anyone who looked up,a few little things I didnt know. Will keep going for more answers :)
thank you   

Offline cathyaitken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 February 13 20:19 GMT (UK) »
You could try different spellings of Doherty for Joseph but it's possible he died or left Derry before 1901 census.
thank you ,quite interested in finding more on joseph as its possible this is who my dad was named after and we didnt even know anything about him. gf had his name spelt docherty 1911,, will try other  name variations for more luck many thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 February 13 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if this could be Patrick and William in 1901 (pure speculation at this point)-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Waterside/Dungiven_Road/1540127/