Author Topic: Any help with Izzards from Sussex  (Read 1872 times)

Offline jmec73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any help with Izzards from Sussex
« on: Thursday 21 February 13 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

As part of researching my wife's family tree there had been a family suggestion that her family are distantly related to comedian Eddie Izzard - all very pertinent given 'Meet the Izzards' which has just aired, and which we watched with interest. And from the snapshots of the typed family tree that he had it confirmed that there are clear common ancestors on the paternal side.

Not for any selfish reason, but I'd like to try and establish exactly where the lines converge if possible, and I hope it's Ok to ask this sort of request. So, here are the details:

My wife's great-grandmother was Frances Lilian Peacham (nee Izzard) b. 1893, her father was William Izzard b.1870, his father was William Izzard b.1841, his father was Jessie Izzard b. about 1790, his father was William Izzard b.1752 who married Ann Latter b.1752 - and it is this couple who are the most recent relatives that you see on Eddie Izzard's typed tree in the maternal episode - other common ancestors Izzards marry were Mary Dray, Mary Pollington and Mary Dalloway who go back to the 1660s, and which were shown in the programme also (although I have one generation further back of Izzards!)

I would like help to try and work out where the lines converge. From public domain information, and using FreeBMD I think I've established the following:

Eddie's dad was born 1928 in Eastbourne, and his father was Harold Charles Izzard b.Oct-Dec 1902 in Eastbourne who married Louisa Emily Isted b.Apr-June 1899 in Battle between Oct-Dec 1927.

Any information to determine where the siblings with the common parentage were would be much appreciated and would help to confirm that what was a 'family rumour' actually seems to be true!

Many thanks for any help.
Jon.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any help with Izzards from Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 February 13 23:05 GMT (UK) »
a quick google search shows that Eddie has his own web site with facebook & twitter links.

Have you tried contacting him directly about his tree?

He might be happy to talk about it, you never know.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 February 13 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Using the 1911 census index as a rough guide, the following would seem to be Harold Charles 1902 of Eastbourne's parents.
Frederick 1865-6 of Rotherfield who married Ellen Carter (b1871 in Essex) in Eastbourne in 1890.  I found this couple on the 1901 census and verified from the children born 1891-1900 that this is the same family that Harold Charles Izzard 1902 was born into.

Harold Charles' father Frederick 1865-1866 can be found in Penshurst Kent on the 1881 census, but on that census Frederick's father's birth year equates to 1837, whereas the website below has it as 1834.  It is not unusual to have a transcription error where a four has been mistaken for a seven.

Eddie's family back from them using the website below SUGGESTS Harold Charles 1902 of Eastbourne's .......
G Parents = Frederick 1834 of Rotherfield and Harriet Bonds b1837 of Mayfield 
G G parents = Jesse 1805 of Rotherfield and Mary
G G G parents = Robert 1782 of Rotherfield and Hannah Burt
G G G G parents = William 1752 of Rotherfield and Ann Latter
G G G G G parents = Thomas 1723 of Rotherfield and Mary Dray
G G G G G G parents = William c1690 and Mary Pollington
(all the above info from http://www.theweald.org/N10.asp?NId=4810065)

As your tree has Jessie Izzard b. about 1790 (significant discrepancy here), whose father was William Izzard b.1752 who married Ann Latter, it would seem you are related, but you may need to seek to verify some of your own or the above website's dates and links to be totally sure all the facts are correct.     Roy G

Offline jmec73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 February 13 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy,

Thanks so much for the info. I have been checking my own sources and will certainly take your advice on checking the ones you include when I have bit more time later today hopefully. One thought about Jesse and the dates which don't match is that a quick search on FamilySearch finds the Jesse you mention at https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J3G2-S86 with Robert and Hannah as parents which matches your date, and https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J9Z1-YQQ finds another Jesse with William and Ann at https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J9Z1-YQQ with the date I have. So I think the lines converge at William and Ann (Latter) as the common ancestor?

Will check these assumptions further later on, but thanks for your info, really appreciated.

Dawn - many thanks for your reply also.

Best wishes,
Jon.