Author Topic: Banks, Fraser and McCulloch families of Cadboll, Nigg and Logie Easter  (Read 4192 times)

Offline Delnyrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Banks, Fraser and McCulloch families of Cadboll, Nigg and Logie Easter
« on: Thursday 21 February 13 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information on the family of Jean or Jane Banks of Cadboll (or Hilton of Cadboll) who married an Alexander Fraser of Kindeace (Kindeis) on August 1, 1788 in Fearn, Ross and Cromarty Scotland. They had two children of record both born in Nigg (though most likely there were more). A daughter, Catherine Fraser was born about 1793 and married to an Alexander McCulloch of Drummedate, Logie Easter (this McCulloch family was also in Loandhu), and a son Alexander McAdam Fraser was born April 12, 1804 and was apparently named after a long time minister of the Nigg Parish church.

I have much information concerning the descendants of Catherine Fraser McCulloch, but no information on Alexander McAdam Fraser or any other possible children of Jean Banks and Alexander Fraser. Any information on Banks, Frasers or related McCullochs in the Cadboll, Nigg and Logie Easter areas would be most welcome. One additional bit of information is that Jean Banks did have a sister, Katherine Banks, who married a John Urquhart of the Cadboll area and they were said to have later moved to Inverness.

Thanks in advance for any information, Jean

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Banks, Fraser and McCulloch families of Cadboll, Nigg and Logie Easter
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 February 13 21:51 GMT (UK) »
A wee bit on the Easter Ross McCulloch's Jean,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_McCulloch 

Would Drummedate be Meddat?

My own g't grannie was a Loandhu MacKenzie.

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline Delnyrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 February 13 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Skoosh for your quick reply and for the Mcculloch clan wiki connection.  :)

As for Drummeddate and Meddat being the same - I'm not sure. A bit of internet searching turns
up some listings for a Drummeddat being the original croft house that Arabella House in Logie Easter was built on or extended from.

It seems to be sometimes mentioned along with Meikle Allen and one listing mentions a James Mackenzie of Drumeddat. Hadn't known of the MacKenzie's of Loandhu but I will keep my eyes
open for them.

Best, Jean

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 February 13 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Jean,         I'm sure you'll already have this,    http://www.fearnpeninsula.org.uk/

Skoosh