Author Topic: Anyone else got a problem with Lincstothepast?  (Read 6238 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else got a problem with Lincstothepast?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 11 March 13 11:34 GMT (UK) »
I sent them an e-mail about it not working - error message running across the bottom of Zoomify - and within a couple of hours it was working again.

Which archives are you going to get yourself registered at?

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 11 March 13 13:50 GMT (UK) »

Which archives are you going to get yourself registered at?

Lincoln, according to a lady that works there (she works in the library too) i have to ring for an appointment to register. I always seem to remember when they are closed. :o
Jo
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 11 March 13 14:12 GMT (UK) »
I presume she means you need a CARN ticket?  If so, I'm not sure why you need an appt. to get one, although I do remember that Lincolnshire archives seem to want you to book appts for everything.   I got mine at Barrow in Furness when I was en-route for a holiday, I just had to show some ID which had my name and address on and signature, so I took my driving licence and (knowing I was going there I took a utility bill with me), filled in a form and got the ticket there and then and it shows my home address in Hampshire.

Mind you looking on the CARN website www.archives.org.uk/general/county-archive-research-network-carn.html it looks as though they might want more now, like passport photos. ::)

Looking at my ticket just now, I see it runs out on 29 May 2013 so I'll ring Hants Archives to see what I need to take to renew it.

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 11 March 13 17:54 GMT (UK) »
I was surprised as well, i queried it with her and she said they were busy so to ring to make appointment. Also they can make sure you take the right documentation with you, nothing worse than getting there and finding they want something with a photo on it. Driving licence is still the green sort. Trying to last until it's compulsory to have a photo one, i begrudge spending money when there's no need  ::) ::)
Meanwhile i'm making a list of all i want to look at  :D
Yorkshire - Turner

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 11 March 13 19:15 GMT (UK) »
When we moved house, we played dumb and just sent our old paper driving licences for a change of address and were sent forms to apply for the photo licences free of charge!  It's an expensive way to get a free change of licence though. ;D

I don't know if Lincs Archives is a large place with only a few staff, as Barrow archives is in an area off the library and had a couple of staff working and whilst we were there another couple arrived and had to register for the CARN card.  Whereas Hampshire Archives are enormous, but they have a reception desk where I guess paperwork is done and once inside there are a few members of staff to help all the people researching there.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie, When I visited Lincs Archives seemed to have an adequate staff for the size of the building, with 4 or more people on duty simultaneously. They were always kept busy with queries from researchers. However, as Lincolnshire CC have cut back staff severely I imagine that Lincs to the Past is their response, good idea, but I imagine from the final product that the program was written in house by surviving members of staff.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Alan7636

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Following in my ancestor’s footsteps
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 14 March 13 15:25 GMT (UK) »
As I was in town (Lincoln) shopping today and had parked in St Rumbold Street, I decided to pay a visit to the Archives to clarify the situation regarding obtaining, or as in my case, renewing a CARN card.

A very polite and efficient lady on reception informed me that no appointment is necessary to obtain a card you just need proof of your signature and address.

After showing  her my driving licence, filling in three forms (1 for the CARN people in Truro and 2 for Lincoln Archives records) I walked out 10 minutes later with my new card, ‘simples’!  ;D

Alan
Hogan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Maddigan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Masters (Lewisham, St Pancras, Clerkenwell)
Knowles (Salford, Manchester)
Farrow (Staffordshire, Manchester)
Atkinson (Lincolnshire)
Ball (Lincolnshire, Rutland)
Hicks (Lincolnshire)
Wheatley (Lincolnshire)
Pearson (Lancashire, Cheshire, Pawtucket USA)
Wilson (Yorkshire)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 14 March 13 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Alan, thank you for letting everyone know this.
I was going to chance going in there the next time i got into Lincoln. I will make an effort now to go and get my CARN and make sure that i have plenty of ID on me.
Jo
Yorkshire - Turner

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 March 13 00:06 GMT (UK) »
When we moved house, we played dumb and just sent our old paper driving licences for a change of address and were sent forms to apply for the photo licences free of charge!  It's an expensive way to get a free change of licence though. ;D

I'm pretty sure if you move house, you do get it for free subject to getting the photos taken as I don't remember paying for my first photocard licence.  Mum is 70 next month and is having to have her licence changed to a photo card, still got the green paper one, and that's free but it cost her £5.99 for the photos and they want to see her original birth certificate and marriage certificate to prove she is who she is so will probably have to pay for registered post for security. ::)

One piece of advice to anyone renewing a photo card after the 10 years is up, DON'T get it taken at the Post Office as part of their integrated service unless you really do want to never be able to use it as ID.  I made the mistake two years ago, even though I was absolutely promised they wouldn't submit a dodgy photo (stupid me didn't ask to see it first), but when it came back it looked nothing like me and is so hazy that I doubt it would be accepted as ID.  Now I've got to either find some pretence to get it changed or wait another 8 years ....  It may cost more, but probably worth getting the photos taken properly and submitting it that way. ::)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day