Author Topic: catholic Schools Glasgow 1930's  (Read 10774 times)

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: catholic Schools Glasgow 1930's
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 February 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggs
Just come on this site for the first time in ages.  My father in aw attended St Joseph's in Raglan Street, Maryhill in the late 1920s early 30s.  Hope this is of help. I have asked the Mitchell Libraryif they have info on this school.
Casey, Cunningham Burt Glasgow & Ireland,
Dobell, Bridgeman, London
Deavin London and France

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi California Dreamni

Came across this thread and curious to know your grandfather's name.  My father in law attended St Joseph's Primary.  It was in Raglan Street.  Although the old school building is still there I believe the school may have moved to a larger site.

Dad claimed to have gone to St Aloysuis!  As he came from a very poor famlly I have my doubts, unless they did scholarships.  Or was there another St Aloysuis secondary school apart from the famous fee paying one?

Daisy1942
Deavin London and France

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 13:39 BST (UK) »
St Aloysius also had/still has? a bursary system.

Skoosh.

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 13:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh,

I had been told of this previously.  I did contact them about Dad and they did search their records for me.  However Dad's birth name nor his potentially adopted name appears in their records!

Daisy1942

Deavin London and France

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 March 24 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

For example my Grandfather came from much the area you are talking about.  He attended St Joseph's Primary school and then St Mungo's.  Don't know if it was a boys only school!  However, I do have a photo of him at school and there were only boys in the photo!!

Hi I stumbled across this quite by accident and it interests me greatly.  I have been researching my father on law for many years and there are still gaps in his history.  Dominic Cunningham Casey was born on 14/4/1922 at 19 Bonhill Street to John Patrick Casey and Martha Burt.  He attended St Joseph's and we were told by a family friend he went onto a big school for bright kids.  He had two older brothers John Patrick born 1914 and James Burt born 1912.

When was your grandfather at St Joseph's and St Mungo's?  If the photographs you mention are from the late 1920's or early 1930's, I should be fascinated to see them if I could.

Regards
Hazel
Deavin London and France

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 16 March 24 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hazel

My grandfather was headmaster at St Joseph's. I have very little sadly in terms of photographs, but do have one of a class shot. Do not know the exact date but educated guess, I would say this was from the 1920s (but this is still a guess  ;)).

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 16 March 24 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi MonicaL

I have asked friends to sharpen that photograph to see if Dad there.  However, I would venture to guess the photo is not St Joseph's Primary as the picture appears to be all boys.  I am 99% sure St joseph's Primary was mixed.  But you would know better than I!

When the sharpened photo is returned to me I shall happily fut here to you to download to your own files.

In the meantime any information you have about St Joseph's and St Mungo's between 1924 an 1935 (ish) would be very much appreciated as I am trying to build a picture of my FIL's education,  He was born 1922 and joined army in April 1939!

Thank you
Deavin London and France

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 March 24 11:45 GMT (UK) »

However, I would venture to guess the photo is not St Joseph's Primary as the picture appears to be all boys.  I am 99% sure St joseph's Primary was mixed.  But you would know better than I!

I would probably agree Monica, St Joseph's was an inner-city school and, in this time period, I doubt very much that almost every boy would have been wearing an Eton collar. The boots are a bit of a giveaway too. The school, like every other Catholic primary in the city, would have been "mixed infants" but after the age of 12 years, they were put into the "Advanced Division" where it may have been the habit to segregate the boys and girls, I'm not too sure about that.

St Mungo's Academy was the only Catholic High School for boys in the entire city at that time, it was run by the Marist Brothers, a teaching order of monks. My youngest uncle, born 1919, won a scholarship to it but after that money run out he was forced to leave at the age of 14 years, my granny, a widow by then, just couldn't afford to let him continue. He was a natural linguist and could pick up any language in a couple of weeks! His first job after leaving school was selling firewood around the posh streets of Hillhead and Hyndland.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 17 March 24 12:17 GMT (UK) »
1925, Glasgow Catholic Observer reports about a St Joseph's Boys School in North Woodside Road