Author Topic: 1861 Census whereabouts of Jane Jelley  (Read 3715 times)

Offline baggygenes

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1861 Census whereabouts of Jane Jelley
« on: Saturday 23 February 13 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me locate Jane Jelly/Jelley in the 1861 census

In 1841 shes born c 1806 Y for born in county and living with husband Thomas, and children Mary Jane and Thomas in Albury

1851 she is born c1804 Newcastle, Scotland with husband Thomas, and children Mary (now Longhurst), Jane, Thomas and granddaughter Mary Longhurst  living in St Marthas

Thomas dies 1860

1871 she is born c1806 Newcastle Scotland with lodgers William and Jane Chick and Walter Bryant
still at St Marthas

1881 c1806 Newcastle, Northumberland living with daughter Jane (now Carter) son in law William Carter in Albury

in 1891 c1805 Newcastle Scotland with Jane and William Carter and a lodger still in Albury

Jane Dies 1899

I seem unable to locate her for 1861 - there is a Jane Jelley born Bray Berks in Guildford but that Jane appears in other years too

Any help gratefully appreciated
If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people. (Thich Nhat Hanh)

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census whereabouts of Jane Jelley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 February 13 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Interesting that (using Ancestry) St Marthas / Chilworth has only 6 pages of names in 1861, compared to 8 pages in 1871.

The National Archives doesnt indicate that 1861 is incomplete .... so maybe if someone with another rendition of the census could look to see if its the same?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 February 13 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Interesting that (using Ancestry) St Marthas / Chilworth has only 6 pages of names in 1861, compared to 8 pages in 1871.

The National Archives doesnt indicate that 1861 is incomplete .... so maybe if someone with another rendition of the census could look to see if its the same?

The sheet at the beginning of the parish lists 8 pages - the last 2 are missing totalling 31 people :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline baggygenes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 February 13 14:41 GMT (UK) »
hmm interesting...  There's no known issues for that area showing up but trying an address search there were very few Chilworth addresses - it's not a big place but I would have expected more
If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people. (Thich Nhat Hanh)

Offline baggygenes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 February 13 14:44 GMT (UK) »

The sheet at the beginning of the parish lists 8 pages - the last 2 are missing totalling 31 people :-\

:-\ indeed ..

Thank you both for looking though!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 February 13 14:48 GMT (UK) »
I could understand if it was the top end of Guildford Town (Stoke and North Street) there are loads not transcribed and quite frankly I am not surprised as the enumerators writing was appalling.  ::)

Rosie

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 February 13 14:57 GMT (UK) »

Ancestry shows 7 pages in 1861 - the first is the old 'Enumerators Page' ... so on;y 6 pages of names - so where are you seeing this detail of a missing 31 people ?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 February 13 15:08 GMT (UK) »
The abstract of totals at the beginning shows Males, Females, Total as follows -
8-16-24  (Page 1)
10-11-21 (Page 2)
12-11-23 (Page 3)
13-9-22 (Page 4)
12-10-22 (Page 5)
12-13-25 (Page 6)

11-13-24 (Presumably page 7 which is missing)
5-2-7 (Presumably page 8 which is also missing)

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 February 13 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie - I've not got that on Ancestry's 'images' - only an Enumertors header page and 6 pages of names - so as I suspected ....