Author Topic: New here- Malta  (Read 8284 times)

Offline rachelselway

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New here- Malta
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 May 14 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I looked at the Geneam site and there is hardly anything for Qormi and Rabat - I did a sitewide search and didn't come up with any of the names of your family - sorry.
The Geneam site is run by about 90 volunteers who are transcribing the Adami Collection and I guess have left Qormi (as it's such a huge diocese) to the end!

I also looked on the archives website and of course Qormi only has 2 records which are early baptisms in the 1600's, and Rabat has nothing on as yet.

I know they are not working on any more parish records at least for the next 2 years.

Your best bet would be looking for the death certificate of your grandmother or grandfather.
There is quite a lot of information on there and would list all their children and approx. ages.
The certificates aren't very costly (in comparison to ordering UK certs) and they ship overseas and you can do the form online - I would try one of those options first or try contacting the diocese and see if they would do a lookup for you.  If they found your grandparents chr. they have indexes and can very quickly look up the siblings as well as they are normally listed within a few pages of each other.

Sorry I could not be of more help.
Rachel

Offline MazHar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New here- Malta
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 May 14 01:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt assistance Rachel. You have done so much to help, I can't thank you enough for trying. It is a shame that nothing can be found. I had a look through the sites you mentioned but I could not understand the geneanum one and couldn't work out how to search in the archives.maltadiocese. I will endeavor to find the information though as I really want to share the details with my mother. I am compiling a family book for her but it is missing so much details. I have a piece of the puzzle that may help find information if anyone knew where to look. That is my mum's brother, Sir Emanuel Borg Gauci. He was an artist in Malta born Dec 24 1911, passed away Dec 16 1991. Recently I found a couple of beautiful tributes about him. Gabriel who is an artist and who's father knew my uncle, and and Joe who has a blog on Mix Cloud. All the information I have about my uncle doesn't really mention much about his family. I have attached 2 pictures of my uncle, one when he was young and the other when he was older. Thank you again and if you are able to pass on other relevant sites or assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Mums side: A Borg-Qormi (m) Leone Borg-Sliema, George Borg-Qormi (m) Josephine Gauci-Rabat, Paulu Gauci-Rabat (m) Mary Grace Camilleri-?, Michael Borg-Qormi (m) Jane Portelli-Qormi 
Dads side: Leone Borg-Sliema (m) A Borg-Qormi, Peter Paul Borg-Valetta (m) Maria Assunta Caruana-Sliema, Calcedonio Caruana-? (m) Carmela Nicholl-UK?  Carmelo Borg-? (m) Giovanna Parteca-?

Dear Lord help me remember life is too short for regrets and grant me wisdom to create memorable treasures to keep