Author Topic: New here- Malta  (Read 8286 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: New here- Malta
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 February 13 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Just as a starter, here are some Cuschieri records from the United States - censuses, immigration and death records mostly.  Many of these people seem to be originally from Malta.  Do you see your mother's sister among them?  What was her first name?

Oops, forgot to put the link.  Here it is:

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results#count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3ACuschieri~
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 February 13 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 April 13 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Don't know whether you have got any further in your search since February but I have a couple of suggestions.

Why not write a letter to The Editor at The Times of Malta.  I have often seen letters in the newspaper appealing for help in tracing extended family.  Also many Maltese living away from Malta read the newspaper online.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/

Birth, marriage and death certificates (after 1863) can be ordered online from the Public Registry at a cost of 2.33 euros each.  Possibly there might be an extra charge for postage to Australia.  Unfortunately there is no public access to indexes so searches cannot be made.  However, you can try to order with an approximate date.  I have ordered certificates with approximate dates with some success and the good thing is if they can't send the certificate they refund your payment or they did when I last used the service.

https://secure2.gov.mt/certifikati/default.aspx

Baptism records are held by the individual churches.  However for such a small country there are a lot - 360 I think.  So of you know which Church the family used, you could write to the Parish Priest for assistance.

Best of luck

Luzzu  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline MazHar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Wow, thank you everyone for all your wonderful help. I haven't been here for a while, so much going on with family so I haven't been able to put a whole lot into more research but I will keep trying to build my family tree. I wasn't able to find my mum's sister Maria Cuschieri either, but thank you again for your help. One of these days I hope to put a name at least to all my mother's siblings. I will let you all know if I manage to make a discovery.  :)
Mums side: A Borg-Qormi (m) Leone Borg-Sliema, George Borg-Qormi (m) Josephine Gauci-Rabat, Paulu Gauci-Rabat (m) Mary Grace Camilleri-?, Michael Borg-Qormi (m) Jane Portelli-Qormi 
Dads side: Leone Borg-Sliema (m) A Borg-Qormi, Peter Paul Borg-Valetta (m) Maria Assunta Caruana-Sliema, Calcedonio Caruana-? (m) Carmela Nicholl-UK?  Carmelo Borg-? (m) Giovanna Parteca-?

Dear Lord help me remember life is too short for regrets and grant me wisdom to create memorable treasures to keep

Offline moorhen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: New here- Malta MazHar
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 January 14 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Dear MazHar,
The person you need to contact about the name Borg, is Julius Borg. He has an extensive collection
of the Borg clan and is a known expert on the subject.
Regards,
Magpie

juliusborg73@hotmail.com preferred address.

Offline MazHar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello and thank you Magpie. I will contact Julius. Have a great week  :)
Mums side: A Borg-Qormi (m) Leone Borg-Sliema, George Borg-Qormi (m) Josephine Gauci-Rabat, Paulu Gauci-Rabat (m) Mary Grace Camilleri-?, Michael Borg-Qormi (m) Jane Portelli-Qormi 
Dads side: Leone Borg-Sliema (m) A Borg-Qormi, Peter Paul Borg-Valetta (m) Maria Assunta Caruana-Sliema, Calcedonio Caruana-? (m) Carmela Nicholl-UK?  Carmelo Borg-? (m) Giovanna Parteca-?

Dear Lord help me remember life is too short for regrets and grant me wisdom to create memorable treasures to keep

Offline rachelselway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 May 14 07:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have done a lot of research in Malta - the first thing that I would suggest is to be a little more specific with names.
Bear in mind that Borg in Malta is like Smith in England - the most common name and the majority of given names are very common as well so if you say your grandmother for example was Maria Borg, there are literally thousands of Maria Borg's in Malta.
So not only would a full name help but also an approximate birth year and town.
There are a few websites that would help.

One has already been given which would be the website to order birth, marriage and death cert.

If you give me more information on your grandmother's parents then I can look them up.
Some of the parish archives are now online at this website:
http://archives.maltadiocese.org/default.aspx
It is free to join but is only helpful if you know the parish she was born in or her parents were married in.

There is also this website:
http://www.geneanum.com/malte.html
Which has the majority of marriages from the Adami Collection and has been digitalized so you can actually do a search.

So I could look for some of the names you put in your footer but without dates it would take me literally days to find.
If you would like me to help look for them then I am happy to do so, I just need more info.

good luck.
Rachel nee Gatt

Offline MazHar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 May 14 14:49 BST (UK) »
Wow, I can't thank you enough Rachel. If you don't mind trying to find out all the names of my mother's siblings, that would be the best gift anyone could give my mother. She is turning 96 in November and has never remembered all of her 20 siblings. My grandmother's name is Giuseppa aka Josephine Borg born Gauci. Born in Rabat Malta in 1885 passed away Oct 5 1948. Her parent's are Paulo Gauci & Mary Grace Gauci born Camilleri. Nanna Giuseppa married George Borg born in Qormi, Malta, Mar 16 1882, passed away 1930. His parent's are Michael Borg and Jane aka Joanna Borg born Portelli maybe in 1862. I guess my grandparent's were married in Rabat as that is where nanna was born. If you let me know what else you might need, I am happy to provide you with the details.  :)

Thank you again so very much for your very kind offer.

Offline MazHar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: New here- Malta MazHar
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 May 14 14:55 BST (UK) »
Dear MazHar,
The person you need to contact about the name Borg, is Julius Borg. He has an extensive collection
of the Borg clan and is a known expert on the subject.
Regards,
Magpie

juliusborg73@hotmail.com preferred address.

Dear Maggie,

I managed to contact Julius, however his data and interest is on Maltese familes from Egypt. I thank you again for your thoughtfulness and help.  :)