Author Topic: Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project  (Read 91570 times)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project
« Reply #126 on: Friday 20 January 23 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Whatever happened to this project?

Website Gone.

Two & Half years since last project admin posted.

100's of hours of volunteers hard work, clearing, photographing. Gone

Glad I left the project in the early days, I would be very angry now.

Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Friday 20 January 23 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
I was one of the early volunteers on this project as well. Most of the work was done by two dedicated Rootschatters recording at the cemetery itself, and one other (who was not based in the UK) maintaining the website. After the initial 'work party' meetings, when Rootschattters turned up from all over Manchester and Lancashire, there were perhaps half a dozen more volunteers like me, who turned up whenever we could. Of course the pandemic didn't help, and although the intention was to get started again once all that was over, I suspect other things will have got in the way. As they posted a while back, the two 'lead' volunteers had both been involved with family issues and bereavement, and although genealogy is great, sometimes you do have to focus on your present-day family and friends. I see neither of them has been active on Rootschat since summer 2021.  I don't know what happened to with the website either, but I can't believe all the paperwork recording the gravestones has been binned. It was a lot of work! We started out with a blank spreadsheet printout, filled it in by hand at the cemetery (a spreadsheet square corresponding to a grave row/number) and Cancan then transferred it onto her computer at home. The intention was to pass the record on to either Manchester Archives or the MLFHS, with the proviso that it would always be free to access by anyone who needed it. There was also mention at one stage, of the Friends of Philips Park getting involved with Manchester General, but I think that was more to do with general park maintenance - we were just concerned with transcribing the headstones.
It's great that you helped to get the project going in the early days, BF. I really do believe your contribution will still be around somewhere. That handwritten spreadsheet was very precious to them, and all the photos.  I'm not angry at all, but I do hope Cancan and Beannie are all right.
Best wishes,
Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Friday 20 January 23 23:52 GMT (UK) »
I echo that ,such dedication and hard work, very well organised too.

Our problem was that sadly teenagers congregated in the cemetery and often boasted “ I pushed that gravestone over!”
They were quite menacing ,you were anxious as to where you could safely park your car.We were quite old and no match for such louts.
So my admiration for the volunteers who slogged on is immense,and one ,a very kind man found and  photographed a pair of family graves with my maternal great grandparents in one and my mother’s teenage sister and my mother’s baby sister ,grandma’s twelfth and last baby in the other,side by side.
I liked doing the logging ,but it is not a safe place even with a fair sized group of people and after my husband’s heart attack, no place for us to be.
I hope all the records have been saved , so all the dedication has not been in vain .
My personal thanks to the group and one man in particular..
Viktoria,

her bsbyvsudtrr

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Saturday 21 January 23 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Barbara & Viktoria

Me and Cancan fell out on the direction of the project and has it was her baby, sadly I walked away, I wish I had not but I cannot rewind time.
I did ask her when she was asking for volunteers a couple of years later, would she like my help and no was the answer.
Am I bitter no as I switched to helping "FB group - The Friends of Philips Park" with grave data and updated plot plans which I freely gave to the group once I had done each one.
Barbara can I assume only Cancan had the data from what you typed? I hope she had it backed up, I have 3 backup HD's on my pc as I lost a HD a few years ago which I could not recover data from, I wont fall for that again lol!.
Anyway I don't use Rootschat very often nowadays but just thought I have a look at your project and was shocked it had vanished. A quick look on Who.is and the site is registered until (Expires On 2023-07-30)
I wish Cancan & Luzzu all the best and hope the project has just stalled and not failed for some reason.

Regards
Ken ex MancsMan

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Saturday 21 January 23 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Some old websites are saved at internet archive wayback machine?

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Sunday 22 January 23 15:32 GMT (UK) »
I have noticed Blackburn Fossil’s concern about the MGCTP. The project was a self-funded, volunteer project which was very ambitious but sometimes other personal issues have to take priority, as Barbara quite rightly mentioned. This has been coupled with the pandemic and a cost of living crisis.

I was the non-UK member and worked on transcriptions, researching biographies and handled many of the enquiries received for grave searches which we were successfully able to solve.  I know how meticulous Cancan was in the management of the information gathered from the project. Certainly all the visible stones were recorded as well as a great number of buried stones which were dug out and recorded. As well as photographing and transcribing the stones the cemetery was mapped.

I was very sad when I was forced to step back from the project a few years ago due a life changing medical condition requiring neurosurgery. Thankfully I am in remission now but have had to scale back on many activities I enjoyed doing.

I can’t give an answer as to the project status but when I was last involved the project was far from being a failure and the information gathered was most certainly backed up.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Monday 23 January 23 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Manchester General Cemetery (Archived website), 60 Captures 2012 to 2021

23 April 2017 (Home with navigation to links)
https://web.archive.org/web/20170423004204/http://mgctp.moonfruit.com/

2 June 2017 (Home, Button links)
https://web.archive.org/web/20170602135021/http://mgctp.moonfruit.com/

2 January 2018
https://web.archive.org/web/20180102122035/http://www.mgctp.moonfruit.com/home/4546104223

mgctp.com (archived)
4 February 2022
https://web.archive.org/web/20220204124155/https://www.mgctp.com/

Mark

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Thursday 26 January 23 11:58 GMT (UK) »
I was very sad when I was forced to step back from the project a few years ago due a life changing medical condition requiring neurosurgery. Thankfully I am in remission now but have had to scale back on many activities I enjoyed doing.

I can’t give an answer as to the project status but when I was last involved the project was far from being a failure and the information gathered was most certainly backed up.

Hi Luzzu

Very nice to hear from you again after such a long time, so sorry to read you have had a very bad time with your health.

In hindsight I put in the wrong word in "fail" as I do recall Cancan's and your passion for the project.   

I do hope it does finally get finished and the data made available as we all know Manchester General Cemetery is a nightmare to get info from as the register books are in such poor condition.

Regards
Ken 

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Sunday 29 January 23 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Manchester General Cemetery (Archived website), 60 Captures 2012 to 2021

Hi Mark

Sorry not ignoring you, just busy.

Many thanks for the links to both websites.

Lets hope they can be reactivated at some point.

Regards
Ken