Author Topic: Park lane Toxteth Park  (Read 1667 times)

Offline slewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Park lane Toxteth Park
« on: Tuesday 26 February 13 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Would any one be able to tell me if in the 1850s / 60s would Park Lane have houses on it or was it all shops, my GG grandfather lived in a few address on Park Lane he also had a shop, it would be nice to know if he had a house or lived over the shop, he was an engineer and tool maker his name was Samuel Povah
       Kind regards sue
Povah Liverpool,wrexham
Kelly, Manchester, Yorkshire
Crook Liverpool, Bolton
Yeo,Barrow in Furness, Stoke Damerel

Offline JOHNNIE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Park lane Toxteth Park
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, have you had a look at liverpool-history.co.uk/toxteth?  loads of info on there.  Johnnie

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 17:50 GMT (UK) »
In 1860 Gore's directory he was an edge-tool manufacturer living at 102 Park Lane. There was also a John Povah, edge-tool manufacturer at 27  Park lane, with a workshop at 27 Upper Pownall Street
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Here is his marriage and his dads name ( I think - says engineer )
22nd june 1846 at St Martin in the fields ,Liverpool
Samuel Povah bachelor engineer of Liver Street
Margaret Campbell spinster,Charlotte Place  ( Minor )
grooms father John Povah a Whitesmith
brides father Edward Campbell a Warehouseman
withess Joseph Dean / Jane Mckillop
married by banns by S B Harper

if it is your Samuel Povah ..it`s a possibility that his mother was Sophia Axon - married 28th november 1825 at St Mary ,Manchester ...to John Povah a Whitesmith
is this the John that Shaun mentions ? or is it a second marriage for Samuels father ?
John Povah - whitesmith
Jane Graham - spinster
12th dec 1836 at St Nicholas ,Liverpool
have a look on
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Burnley Advertiser, 19 Jan 1861
ENGLISH PATENTS
The following patents amongst others were sealed during the week ending January 12th, 1860, and are from the list of Messrs Hughes and Bloodworth:- ................. Samuel Povah, of Liverpool, engineer and tool maker, for an improved combined portable steam engine, winch and apparatus or machinery for operating pumps and parts of the rigging, warping, raising the anchor, and for other such uses as on board ships where power is required, parts of the same being applicable for like uses separately; dated July 11, 1860

The Engineer, March 1861 published a diagram -
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/c/c1/Er18610308.pdf

Click on link - pdf.file delivered. Put "Povah" in search field 

Offline slewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 March 13 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
Thank you for this information, and the English patents site is great,  Sophia Axon married another John Povah in manchester but yes my John did marry jane graham she was Samuel step mum.
Johnnie I did look the Toxteth site I think they one photo of Park Lane but looking at that I think he may have lived over the shop.
I don't know if any one could help with this I do know Samuel was a mason and I gess his father wasI have a photo of Samuel with 6 other men one could even be John, and on the botton it says The Seven Stars a few things in the back ground make me think it was taken at a mason lodge, would you know how you find info on Masons in Liverpool
     Thank you again for all your help kind rgareds
 Sue
Povah Liverpool,wrexham
Kelly, Manchester, Yorkshire
Crook Liverpool, Bolton
Yeo,Barrow in Furness, Stoke Damerel

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 March 13 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Sue ...I am curious about the Seven Stars ...I know of The Seven Steps ...so I am a member on Liverpool -Genealogy site ...I have posted this for my own curiosity , so click on the link and if you go to the home page you will be able to join for free - just register

http://www.forum.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12683

good luck
allan
ADDED...Evidently at the bottom of Park Lane to the right is Grovesnor Square ...and in the Square was a pub named The Seven Stars ...so this may be what`s on your photograph
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford