Author Topic: Prescot, Lancs, in 1911 - Some figures  (Read 990 times)

Offline Stephen Nulty

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Prescot, Lancs, in 1911 - Some figures
« on: Tuesday 26 February 13 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Having now worked my way through slightly more than half of the 1911 census for Prescot, I thought you may be interested in some statistics that are emerging.

NUMBERS

I have analysed the details of 4933 of the 8151 people who lived in Prescot in 1911. 

2486 male, 2447 female, which is probably what you might expect, roughly 50/50.

3901, some 62%, were born in Prescot.

OCCUPATIONS

2901 have a recorded occupation. Of these, 709 (24%) worked in the Wire Works, 109 (3%) worked in the Watch Industry and 209 (7%) were in the Coal industry. It is interesting to note that in the 1901 census, 25% of workers were employed in the Watch Industry and 13% in Coal, so both were clearly in decline by 1911.

AGES

• 572 of the population were aged < 5
    646 were aged 5-10
    1090 were 11-20
    1386 were 21-40
    956 were 41-60
    269 were 61-80
    13 were aged over 80.

The eldest person I have encountered was 89 year old John Walker of 18, Derby Street.

MORTALITY

You’ll probably be aware that the 1911 census was the first which asked for details of the number of children born to each married woman, also asking for the number who were still alive and the number who had died.

Summarising this information shows that married woman reported that they had 4079 children born, and of this number, 2991 were living and 1088 had died! While it’s probably fair to assume that a number of these will have died in their teen or adult years, it’s likely that the vast majority were infant or young children dying. So roughly one in four had died. What a dreadful figure !!

These mortality numbers are supported by analysis of the burials at St Mary’s between 1903 and 1921. Of the 2585 burials, 809 were of children BELOW the age of 5.

I hope you find this of some interest. When I finally finish the analysis (don't hold your breath!), I'll update the figures
Researching the men of Prescot, Lancashire, who fell in the Great War

Please visit my website at www.prescot-rollofhonour.info

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Prescot, Lancs, in 1911 - Some figures
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 March 13 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thanks Stephen. I know what great work you do in regards to Prescot and especially your work on the Prescot WW1 Rolls (of which there are a few of mine).  Your input is very much appreciated.  Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie