Author Topic: Raymond Temple-Smith or Temple-Purcell Death?  (Read 6499 times)

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Raymond Temple-Smith or Temple-Purcell Death?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 14:57 BST (UK) »
Dear Mr Purcell

Re: Raymond Geoffrey Purcell

Thank you for your email enquiry of 20 July 2013.

Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies have copies of the West Herts and Watford observer for 1950 on microfilm. You are very welcome to visit to view the papers yourself free of charge or we can offer to carry out research for you at a cost of £15.00 per 30 minutes up to £30.00 (one hour) in any one transaction.

We also have some coroner’s case papers for 1950, which may hold information on Raymond Geoffrey Purcell. You will need to contact the coroner’s office in order to access the information.

Their contact details are:

County Coroner’s Office
The Old Courthouse
St Albans Road East
Hatfield
Herts
AL10 0ES

Tel: 01707 292707
Email: coroner.service@hertfordshire.gov.uk
Details of our location, opening hours, services and online indexes can be found on our website at www.hertsdirect.org.uk/hals. Please contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Yours sincerely

Susan J Hall
Archive Library Assistant
Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies

This is what they wrote back to me, unforuntay i am unable to pay that price for a reasearcher. If anyone lives near by or is planning on going any time soon, please may you have a quick look just to see if you are able to find anything please.
I will be writing to the coroner very shortly and will post the response again. Sorry to ask, i would do it myself it was lived near by but currently live in Birmingham and unable to drive.

Yours Truly
Andrew

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew

Thank you for keeping us up to date, I have checked any on line newspapers & at the moment the Watford Observer for the 1950's doesn't seem to be covered any where. Still might be worth e-mailing the paper itself. :-\

Hope you have more luck with the coroners office.

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 15:34 BST (UK) »
I think the best bet into finding any newspaper articals would be going to the Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies as they mentioned that they "have copies of the West Herts and Watford observer for 1950 on microfilm".

I have just emailed the coroners and hopefully I get a response from them. I will again keep you all up to date with coroners reports. I though that something quite dangerous would have been in a lot of newspaper articals. Do you think that Birmingham would actually have any newspaper articals regarding him, as he was living in Birmingham?

Kindest Regards
Andrew

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 15:42 BST (UK) »
That's a thought Andrew, it might be worth you trying your local library who may have newspapers on microfiche, I know Watford Library has some but unfortunately I am no where near Watford any more. :'(

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 15:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much anyway. I hope that someone else would be able to see this and would spare a bit of time In searching this for me. Currently at the moment Birminghams where they hold family history stuff is being moved to a new developed library that has been build. I don't think it is due to open untitled September. I'll be sending a message to them soon to see if it be possible to do so.
Kindest Regards
Andrew

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew, Maddie kindly alerted me to your plight. I have just looked through the microfiche at Watford Library -for The West Herts and Watford Observer from Friday 15th of Sept to the end of the month. I looked out for any feature stories re the accident and also at the death notices. Sorry to say I didn't find anything. I will check next week if the library also holds the observer online, just to double check if I missed anything. Have you tried herts names on line, as another roots chatter (Jtas) managed to find a death notice for one of my ancestors. Good luck with finding any other links in the meantime.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 July 13 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

A little time ago I had a look through HALS online names and the archive catalogue and nothing stands out.

WaObs online archives only go back to 1995.

[Andrew]
Have you checked the detail on his death certificate to verify that the story is actually true?
Death Sep 1950 Watford 4b 219 Raymond G Purcell (37y)

Why was he known as 2 other alternative names?

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 25 July 13 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew, Maddie kindly alerted me to your plight. I have just looked through the microfiche at Watford Library -for The West Herts and Watford Observer from Friday 15th of Sept to the end of the month. I looked out for any feature stories re the accident and also at the death notices. Sorry to say I didn't find anything. I will check next week if the library also holds the observer online, just to double check if I missed anything. Have you tried herts names on line, as another roots chatter (Jtas) managed to find a death notice for one of my ancestors. Good luck with finding any other links in the meantime.

Thank you very much for passing my forum onto a friend Maddie, and thank your very much for having a look for me bgoodman! :) it is very much appreciated.

Ray, at first it was a rumour (by one of the sons, because I didn't know him personally) so I took the information he had and ordered a certificate, He did in fact die like he said he died, below is what is mentioned on his death certificate word by word.

Name; Raymond G Purcell

Living at; 64 Woodstock Road, Moseley, Birmingham, West Midlands, England.

Place of death and cause of death; Peace Memorial Hospital, Watford, Hertfordshire, England Died of Shock, and haemorrhage resulting from a lacerated liver and fractured ribs the deceased having the 14th September 1950 been crushed by falling steel plates at the clone valley sewerage works, Maple Cross Hertfordshire, England. P.M; Accidental.

Occupation; Engineer

Informant; R.M. Godman, Deputy coroner for the Watford district. Inquest held 19th September 1950

He was known by many last names, including Smith/Temple-Smith/Temple-Purcell/Purcell
The reason for this is because his real fathers name was called Smith, He was registered again at birth with Temple-Smith (his dads middle name and put it with his last name to make temple-smith). about 1914..1918 time he's real father went away.. not sure how or when or even where, but a man that was living with them as a boarder was actually to be considered as their real father, Raymond was to young to understand so he thought that this new person was his real father, so his mother changed his name from Temple-Smith to "Purcell", later on in life his eldest brother told him, so he again changed his name from "Purcell" to Temple-Purcell, out of respect for his real fathers name, and his steph father.

By the time in 1936 (aged 27) he was using Purcell as his last name, This is proven by his marriage certificate. It also says on his marriage certificate that Raymonds father was called Richard H Purcell. In the witness box it says his mothers name. When he had my grandfather he gave the name Purcell which was in 1936, but when his second eldest child was born in 1938 he gave the last name Temple-Purcell to all his other children. 

So in theory he mainly used the name "Purcell" but only sometimes used a different name. I know its very confusing but hopefully I have explained it good enough to understand.

Kind Regards
Andrew