Author Topic: MACKNESS/MAKERNES/MAKURNIS  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Jaxyfone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Leicester born and bred, and proud of it!
    • View Profile
MACKNESS/MAKERNES/MAKURNIS
« on: Tuesday 26 February 13 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone can throw any light on the possible origins of this name. The present day name is Mackness, of which there are (and have been for centuries) hundreds. Going back through time it becomes Mackerness, through Makernes and back to, in the 15th Century, Makurnis.

As far as I can make out we have no Scottish or Irish links on that side of the family. In fact, the earlier generations seem to have been settled in Finedon, Northants. Where could it possibly have originated if not Scotland/Ireland? And if it is one of the latter, why might the family have migrated to Northants?
Smith (Kettering/Northants); Hill; Mackness; Chapman
Giddings; Pridmore; Salsbury.

Offline slippery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: MACKNESS/MAKERNES/MAKURNIS
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 August 13 11:06 BST (UK) »
Jaxyfone

I received this from Pat Harris several years ago about the Mackness name. Pat has compilled nine thousand Mackness descendants, I have not been in contact with her for a few years now, if you would like to contact her send me a private pm.
I would like to think that we are descended from the DANISH VIKINGS who landed in 1010 in Lincolnshire on the East coast,    (where the name was found as MAQUERNES) they traveled up the river Ouse and made camps in all the places along the river where variations of our name are found.
 I will never be able to prove it of course but there is a present day Danish racing driver, called
Tommi Makinen !!  but it makes a good talking point.

I believe this is probably correct as look at the place names on the coast that end in Ness.

All my Mackness family come from London

Peter