Author Topic: Alfred John Borrowdale born Moffat 3/1/1813 & Parents  (Read 6694 times)

Offline Scott Anderson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alfred John Borrowdale born Moffat 3/1/1813 & Parents
« on: Wednesday 27 February 13 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks I wonder if someone can help, i am researching for a friend in New Zealand and would like to try and find something out about the above named Alfred.

He was born to Joseph Borrowdale (shipbuilder from Cumberland) and Christian Murray in 1813 in Moffat, Scotland he had some siblings born in Moffat, Mary 20/07/1809,  Margaret 31/12/1810, David 30/06/1816 and another two children believed born in Whitehaven and christened at the Scotch Presbyterian Church, William in 1822 and Christian in 1825.

Now we do not know why but in 1837 at aged 24 he landed in New Zealand and changed his name from Alfred John Borrowdale to John Murray and became a prominent and respected shipbuilder staying there until his death in 1888.

He married into an almost royal like New Zealand Maori family.

His younger brother David Borrowdale seems to have become quite a well known shipbuilder and owner from Whitehaven.

I have attached a document that the family had done some years ago as he was one of the early NZ settlers.

Any advice or help as to what may have made him leave Whitehaven and change his name would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
Interests:

Limerick: Anderson, Quaid, Dignor circa 1800-1900
Kilmarnock: Weems, Watson, Humphrey
Dumfries & Galloway: Weems,Wemyss

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred John Borrowdale born Moffat 3/1/1813 & Parents
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scott :)

One might ask where the name Alfred originated as he seems to have been christened John https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYM4-RMB
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Scott Anderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 17:10 GMT (UK) »
i wondered that myself geoff but that's what i was told.

thanks,

scott
Interests:

Limerick: Anderson, Quaid, Dignor circa 1800-1900
Kilmarnock: Weems, Watson, Humphrey
Dumfries & Galloway: Weems,Wemyss

Offline Mike Murray

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 August 13 10:39 BST (UK) »
Greetings Scott John Borrowdale Murray, Your message is correct, Upon arring in NZ HE changed his name to John Murray.Settled in the northern part of nz in an area called Hokianga. 1840 he moved to Kaitaia , married Kataraina Te Koni, the daughter of a Te Rarawa chieftain. They had13 children and the resultant descendants number in theri thousands. Built a  schooner named Elzabeth and traded between Auckland and the Great Barrier Island

Of which i am a descendant
Mike Murray

Offline Mitam

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 10:04 BST (UK) »
Kiaora Scott, my name is Mita Mare (Murray) from Pukepoto a small settlement approx 10 k's west of Kaitaia where a memorial stone stands in our cemetery or what we call our Urupa for our common ancestor Alfred John Borrowdale-Murray and Kataraina Te Koni. I too am a descendant of John Borrowdale-Murray as well. In response to you being unsure as to why he changed his name from Borrowdale to Murray was according to our understanding was that he was selling bullets and Whiskey on the black market to the local northern Maori. We understand the local constabulary were trying to capture him hence the name change from Borrowdale to Murray.

Offline Rachelmscott

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 March 21 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

This post is a good few years old now, but I too am descended from a shipbuilding family called Borrowdale in Whitehaven. My great grandfather, John Borrowdale Thompson, was born at sea and my parents have the christening mug with the coordinates of his place of birth on it. My parents also have a painting of one of the Borrowdale’s ships- called something like the Plant Nook I think.

My grandfather, also John Borrowdale Thompson, was born in Belfast in 1908.  My grandparents moved to England during the war where my father was born.

My name is Rachel Scott (nee Thompson) and was born in London in 1973.