Author Topic: Uncle Jack's Nieces and Nephews  (Read 2080 times)

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
Uncle Jack's Nieces and Nephews
« on: Wednesday 27 February 13 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters - can someone explain this to me?

My mother and aunt were orphaned and sent to Canada in 1923 to live with their two aunts. Their fare was 'assisted by the Salvation Army' so they are listed as Home Children in Canada.

When they arrived in Canada a photo was taken of them and eventually that photo appeared in the local newspaper in their hometown in England. I have a copy of the article and under the photo it says:

"Uncle Jack has one of the largest families in the world, and his nieces and nephews are to be found in all parts of the globe."

Was 'Uncle Jack's Nieces and Nephews' some kind of organization or part of a government program? I've tried googling it but haven't gotten anywhere. Any information would be most appreciated.

Sheila
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Uncle Jack's Nieces and Nephews
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheila :)

It could simply be a whimsical reference to the 'Union Jack' (more correctly called the Union Flag).

Regards,
Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 March 13 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Maybe 'Uncle John' was an honourary uncle, someone who met the children when they arrived and then took an interest in their welfare or a foster parent type of person.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 March 13 17:50 GMT (UK) »
or maybe a radio programme for children?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 March 13 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those ideas. You were close Dawn with the radio programme.

I went through a box of my Mum's things and looked through an August 21, 1920 copy of "The Burton Observer" that she had saved. I'd thought it had been saved because of a group photo of about 300 children and a write-up that describes a picnic given by Burton's returned soldiers to the children of their fallen comrades. I've always assumed my mum and aunt were somewhere in that group.

However, there is also a 1/2 page section in the paper for the "Young Observers' Patriotic League" and it is conducted by Uncle Jack. It begins with a message to "My dear Nieces and Nephews" and contains prize competitions, projects (how to make a letter rack), puzzles, games, riddles, stories, birthday greetings etc. You could write to Uncle Jack at the Burton Observer and send him letters and snapshots. When you joined the League he would send you a membership card.

So now I'm thinking it was my Mum and Aunt that sent the photo to Uncle Jack and it was featured in one of the weekly Patriotic League sections.

There were 6 requirements to belong to the League:
To be plucky; To try to do right; To speak the truth; To be cheerful; To be kind to animals and; To be helpful.  - Words we can still live by  :)
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley