Author Topic: Bridget Johnston or Higgins  (Read 8753 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Johnston or Higgins
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 February 13 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Need to get to bed now  :P Had a long mad day...but can't get the thought out of my head of these boys' deaths  :'( Harrowing.

I have a possible death entry for you for Bridget. Not perfect but not sure you will find the perfect entry now from what I have seen. As we know with these things, you are likely still some way from further confirmation, although I think you will likely find the details from a number of sources we have been talking about. Just needs a lot more digging around (hope you are localish  ::) ;)).

We had from one of the newspaper mentions, in 1911 January, William and John being admitted to the Dysart Combination Poorhouse. The reference to Fife/Dysart may be relevant. Up to now everything has been based around West Lothian.

I think this is Bridget with her family before her 1902 marriage (am I right?):

Wm Johnstone 45, Shaleminer  b. Bathgate
Bridget Johnstone 45 b. Ireland
Bridget Johnstone 28 daughter, formerly domestic servant b. Airdrie, Lanarkshire
John Johnstone 25
Ann Johnstone 15
Wm Johnstone 13
Patrick Johnstone 10
Address: Holigate 123, Uphall, West Lothian

From the review of newspaper reporting, likely life for Bridget with Patrick was plainly...awful :-\

We know Bridget died between 1907-11. Newspaper reporting indicates around 1910.

I have found this death entry. Not 100% certain but I do feel it might be relevant:

ELIZABETH  Higgins, married to WILLIAM Higgins, Coal miner. Aged 26 and died on 3 October 1910 at the Holmes Lodging House, Wemyss, Fifeshire.

Her father shows as a William Johnston, a stoker at a colliery, in brackets, 'not ascertained'. No mother's name.

Cause of death, Abortion.

Person who reported death, a John Sheehan, inmate. Inmate in this sense, normally just means someone living in the same property.

Given their life, hope you can see why I think this is her death  :-\ Hope you can find other sources to be able to confirm with more certainty.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 February 13 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Chris, I am going to move this post over to the West Lothian board....This looks to be where the main events lie.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris5856

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 March 13 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Monica...what can I say....stunning piece of work. At least it gives me something to look into.

Thanks

Chris
McKay - Belfast / Coatbridge & Airdrie
Quinn - Letterkenny /Coatbridge & Airdrie
Delaney - Airdrie
Shannon - Belfast / Coatbridge & Airdrie
Johnston - Airdrie & Coatbridge
O'Brien - Dublin / Liverpool
Dunn - Liverpool

Offline Landragan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 October 19 14:52 BST (UK) »
Saw your post when I entered 'Patrick Higgins murders' into Google. I was looking for a specific remark he made. Are you still looking for the info you mentioned in your post, or have you finished your research ?

Offline Landragan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 October 19 18:57 BST (UK) »
If you are still interested in Patrick Higgins, I checked his details about ten years ago. Saw your question when I was looking for an exact quote. Didn't know he was causing people such problems.
You have probably finished with him, though.

Offline Carverj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 June 23 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I've recently discovered I'm related to Bridget however looking to join some dots together, may i ask if anyone of this post is also related or has some further information on the family please ?  Kind regards, Jenny